Students, Administration Fight for Federal Aid

Funding for federal grants, student loans and work- study is again at risk of being cut by congressional Republicans intent on trimming overall spending to 2008 levels. Unlike in December, however, students are not standing idly by.

Though the GOP has not outlined to what extent student aid will be affected, a percentage cut across the board will create a $3.1 billion loss in funds. If the Pell Grant program is specifically targeted, an $18.6 billion gap in the amount of money reserved for students will result.

Pell Grants are designed for low- and middle-income students who qualify based on expected family contribution, the cost of enrollment in the institution, enrollment status and length of attendance.

The predicted shortfall could become a serious problem for Georgetown students as the expiration date of December’s continuing resolution, which has kept aid level until now, approaches. The university has committed to supporting the 830 Georgetown students who received Pell Grants awards, totaling $3,478,197 for the 2009-2010 academic year, University President John J. DeGioia wrote in a letter to Jacob Lew, director of the U.S. Office of Management and Budget. But the university cannot assure that it will permanently be able to fill the gap.

“We want to fight the good fight in order to keep the federal government involved in a way I think they should be,” said Patricia McWade, dean of the office of student financial services.

Scott Fleming, associate vice president for Federal Relations, and McWade stressed that Georgetown will remain committed to meeting the demonstrated financial aid of its students, regardless of the measures that the federal government takes. The gap in aid would put a great strain on the university, however. Georgetown gives $81 million in undergraduate scholarships each year, 20 percent of which is derived from its endowment and gifts.

“Quite frankly, the federal government is the small player here … but at the end of the day, we don’t want the bottom cut out from under us,” Fleming said.

To ensure that the GOP’s plans do not come to pass, Fleming is spearheading a campaign to encourage students to voice their support for the continuation of federal financial aid funding at current levels. Fleming is pushing student volunteers and their families to contact their local Congressional representatives, emphasizing the importance of the issue to the university.

“My dream is to find a story from every state,” he said.

Several students have already expressed interest in participating in the campaign.

Cody Ling (MSB ’11) says that he is passionate about sharing his unique perspective with representatives and possibly the House Appropriations Committee.

“If you put me in front of people, I will do my best to tell a convincing story,” Ling said.

The federal budget and the next House of Representatives’ continuing resolution for funding will be released Feb. 14. Fleming predicts that the measure will only be a short-term solution, however. Deliberations may extend into the summer, he said. Funding approval must extend through Sept. 30 in order for the Department of Education’s promise of continuing current grant levels through the fall semester to stand.

Fleming said that he is hopeful that while extensive federal funding cuts are on the horizon, financial aid will escape largely unscathed.

“I would love nothing better [than] to find out that I was totally wrong [about potential cuts to student aid],” he said.