Students Choose to Stay on Campus for Classes, Internships

Every summer, Georgetown students from far and wide stay on campus, exchanging surfing lessons for international finance classes, trading ice cream for research fellowships and swapping the 4th of July at Nobadeer Beach for fireworks over the Washington Monument.

The location is the main draw for students interviewed, who said the employment opportunities in the District are simply unparalleled compared to those in their home states: Some intern on Capitol Hill, while others pursue more specific causes.

Deven Comen (COL ’12) said she doesn’t enjoy a breadth of internship opportunities at home like that in the Washington area.

“I live in a rural town in Connecticut. It has such limited opportunities for employment and lacks the resources of D.C. This summer I’m working at the [U.S.] Treasury, researching for a professor and am involved in different jobs on campus like working at Senior Week and Reunion Weekend,” Comen said.

Paige Lovejoy (SFS ’12), will be working at a consulting firm that handles stability training for military servicemen in combat zones.

“There is not very much to do in Ohio [where I’m from] that relates to my professional interests. In addition to this opportunity to work at a consulting firm, I will also continue to work part time at the [Berkeley Center for Religion, Peace, and World Affairs],” Lovejoy said

Other students, like Savannah English (SFS ’12), will work within Healy Gates. English will serve during June and July as controller of Corp Accounting.

“Doing something like this is a perfect opportunity to be here in Georgetown, and also to enjoy myself without the pressures of homework and school,” she said.

any students, however, return to their studies through the warmer months. For athletes, the season offers a chance to catch up on time lost due to practice and competition schedules. For others, it’s a chance to focus on particularly demanding coursework.

Lindsey Bragg (MSB ’13), who rows for the women’s open-weight crew team, will be taking a course at Georgetown this summer.

“This past semester was very difficult for me,” Bragg said. “I had practice, races and took five hard classes. I decided that over the summer, I would take one class so that next spring, when I have practice every day, I could take fewer classes.”

Lauren Bakios (COL ’09), spent her sophomore summer on the Hilltop taking organic chemistry, a requirement for students on the pre-med track.

“I took organic chemistry over the summer because it is a very demanding course, and since it was my only class, I could really focus on learning the material and doing well,” Bakios said.

And students remaining on campus over the summer will not have to do without many of the resources they are accustomed to during the school year.

ost Corp services, including Uncommon Grounds, More Uncommon Grounds, Vital Vittles, Hoya Snaxa and Corp Catering will continue operations during the summer, though some with abbreviated hours. Only The Midnight Mug in Lauinger Library will be closed, according to The Corp Web site. Yates Field House remains open as well as O’Donovan Hall. Leo’s offers meal plans that can be purchased by the week, in a program running from June 5 to August 13.

For students who plan to cook their own meals, Safeway recently re-opened on Wisconsin Avenue.