SUMMER READING: Sloane Crosley’s Essay Collections

A perfect set of books to cap off the summer, publicist-turned-author Sloane Crosley’s two collections of autobiographical essays, “I Was Told There’d Be Cake” and “How Did You Get This Number,” are relatable, hilarious and charmingly witty. A well-executed foray into the world of creative nonfiction, Crosley’s work recounts her life in amusing, bite-sized pieces as she shares stories with readers that will evoke both laughter and self-reflection.

“I Was Told There’d Be Cake,” published in 2008, was Crosley’s first book and a New York Times bestseller. Published just before she turned 30, the essays recount her post-college life and early adulthood, highlighting the often-comical struggles of a 20-something living in New York. When describing the veritable letdown of post-graduation life, Crosley says, “We were disillusioned by day and deglamorized by night.” A testament to her sharp wit and seemingly effortless sense of humor, even the book’s chapter titles are hilarious — examples include “Bring-Your-Machete-to-Work Day,” “Bastard Out of Westchester,” “Smell This” and “You On a Stick.”

One of Crosley’s greatest strengths in this novel is her tendency to hone in on the details of a situation rather than explore only their broader implications. In fact, this is often the source of her comedy. Using her signature sense of humor, Crosley describes unremarkable situations such as moving apartments in New York, spending Christmases with her family and becoming friends with a man she intended to have a one-night stand with. In describing these everyday aspects of her life, Crosley manages to pull readers in, make them laugh and have them reflect on the seemingly frustrating parts of growing up with amusement and appreciation.

Crosley’s second set of essays, “How Did You Get This Number,” was released in 2010 and reflects a definitively more mature and developed — yet still characteristically witty — voice. She moves on from the slightly more trivial stories of “I Was Told There’d Be Cake” to more subtle, serious pieces that recount her experiences as an adult later in life. In one of the book’s nine vignettes, “Show Me On the Doll,” she talks about traveling to Lisbon out of a desire to satiate her childhood dream of being able to “spin [a globe] and point and travel wherever my finger landed.” Although Crosley manages to weave comedy throughout the story, “Show Me On the Doll” reflects more deeply the often-felt desire of adults to feel youthful, carefree and impulsive.

Another essay, “Lost in Space,” is thoughtful and self-reflective, describing the temporal and spatial learning difficulties that have frustrated Crosley since childhood and the ways in which they continue to affect her life. When she was growing up, for example, she found it impossible to distinguish left from right, was baffled by analog clocks and could not shade the correct bubbles on standardized tests, forcing her to devise unorthodox study methods. Crosley has since realized that she had a “functionality cap” and has had to either come to terms with some of her shortcomings or learn how to avoid them. For instance, when invited to her sister’s barbeque, Crosley comically decides to leave the country for the weekend rather than face the trouble of navigating the bus system. “How Did You Get This Number” recounts Crosley’s other more adult experiences — her time spent as a bridesmaid for a wedding in Alaska and her trips to Paris, for example — as well as charming stories in which she reminisces on her childhood.

Although “I Was Told There’d Be Cake” and “How Did You Get This Number” share Crosley’s distinctive voice and her ability to spin the ordinary into the hilarious, they have discernible differences in tone and weight. “Cake” is lighter, brighter and more laugh-out-loud funny. Although it is slightly shorter than “Number,” it has almost twice as many essays, containing shorter, more sharply written pieces. “Number,” on the other hand, reflects greater maturity and experience. Crosley finds comedy in more grown-up situations, and she seems to have passed the age of late-night parties and the thrilling uncertainty of early post-college life.

In her second collection, Crosley also seems more eager for resolution. The conclusions of her essays drop off less quickly than they do in “Cake,” and they instead seem to strive for a sense of closure, which broadens the reader’s perspective. Crosley’s growth between the two books is wonderful to witness.

“I Was Told There’d Be Cake” and “How Did You Get This Number” are sharply witty and thoroughly relatable, making them perfect summer reads. By hearing from Crosley’s experiences, readers can reflect on their own lives and hopefully learn that oftentimes, the challenges of growing up can make for the most memorable — and the funniest — of stories.

Alexandra Brunjes is a sophomore in the College. This is the final installment of Summer Reading