SWIMMING AND DIVING | Carbone Records Qualifying Times for US Olympic Trials

Among many of the nation’s top swimmers, Drew Carbone, a sophomore on the Georgetown men’s swimming and diving team, recorded two qualifying times for the U.S. Olympic Trials this past weekend at the U.S. Winter National Championships.

Georgetown sent four swimmers to nationals, which ran from Nov. 28 to Dec. 1. Together, Carbone, senior Seth Maslowski, freshman Brett Sherman and freshman Carlson Temple competed in eight different events over three days.

On Thursday, three Georgetown swimmers raced in separate events. Sherman entered the water first for the 400-yard freestyle, finishing in second place in the first heat and 26th place in the preliminaries overall. Maslowski placed fifth in the 50 freestyle and ranked 55th overall.

Carbone narrowly missed qualifying for the Olympic Trials in his event Thursday by 1.56 seconds. He competed in the 200 individual medley, winning his preliminary heat but finishing fourth place in the C final.

Friday marked the team’s strongest performances at nationals. While racing in the 100 backstroke, Carbone won his preliminary heat and beat the Olympic qualifying time by 0.13 seconds. Having secured a spot at the Olympic Trials, he is set to compete for a spot on the 2020 Summer Olympic Team.

Temple raced in his first event on Friday, swimming in the 400 individual medley. His time qualified him for the C final, where he placed eighth. In the 400 individual medley, Sherman edged his way into the B final and swam to a fifth-place finish.

GU Hoyas | Sophomore Drew Carbone recorded two Olympic qualifying times at nationals.

Carbone did not expect his Saturday result. He surprised even himself with a second breakout performance by recording another qualifying time for the Olympic Trials in the 200 backstroke.

“My goal was to qualify for the trials in at least the 100 backstroke; the 200 was kind of a surprise,” Carbone said in an interview with The Hoya. “That was a big drop in my best time and it was unexpected, but obviously I couldn’t be happier. It definitely gives me more confidence going into conference [play].”

That day, Temple also competed in the 200 breaststroke and placed seventh in the preliminaries but missed out on the evening finals by just 1.5 seconds.

Georgetown’s swimming and diving head coach, Jack Leavitt, said he was satisfied by the results from Nationals and remains hopeful for the team’s performance in the Big East Conference in February.

“I wanted the swimmers to get more experience in a meet like that. It was the first opportunity to qualify for the Olympic Trials, and Drew made the cut for a couple, which was great,” Leavitt said. “But what we do here, the goal has always been to prepare for Big East, building on what we’ve been working on for the first half of the year to get better and faster.”

The Hoyas will return to McCarthy Pool to host The George Washington University and American University on Saturday, Jan. 12.