SWIMMING & DIVING | GU Falls in Final Tune-Up, Three Qualify for Big Easts

Georgetown’s swimming and diving team faced an uphill battle against Maryland on Saturday, but despite an overall loss, the Hoyas took home several victories and qualified three more swimmers for the Big East championship.

While Head Coach James Holder was not necessarily looking for a victory over the Terrapins, he was pleased with the team’s progress.

“A lot of people swam really well. [Sophomore] Tom Cooke had a couple of best times,” Holder said. “Overall it was a mixed bag. Some people did well and some people were more so-so.”

Cooke joined classmate Brad Murray and senior Keenan Timko in qualifying for the Big East championship with their times in this meet. Those qualifications finalize Georgetown’s roster for the championship.

“We know who is going and who is not. Obviously, you would hope that everyone would qualify and be able to go, but it doesn’t always work out that way,” Holder said. “I’m happy with the group we have.”

Other strong performances on Saturday came from sophomore Christina Daquila, who won the 500-yard freestyle, and the women’s 50-yard butterfly swimmers, who swept the first three spots, led by senior Megan Harvey.

Freshman Rosemary Christian won the 100 individual medley, and the Georgetown women finished 1-2 in the 200 freestyle relay.

With Big East diving competition slated to begin on Friday and swimming beginning on Feb. 16, the Hoyas are in the thick of preparations.

“We are doing less and less yards, trying to rest and just making sure we have dotted the i’s and crossed the t’s,” Holder said.