SWIMMING & DIVING | Mediocre Finish for GU at Princeton

The Georgetown swimming and diving team struggled once again this weekend as they competed against Princeton, Lehigh and The College of New Jersey in the Princeton Fall Invitational in Princeton, N.J.

Head Coach Jamie Holder’s side had hoped to use the nonconference meet to rebound from a disappointing start to conference play in the Big East Quad Meet in Storrs, Conn., two weeks ago.

While the team benefited from some strong individual performances, they turned in a lackluster performance overall. Both the men’s and women’s sides failed to win any individual races, with top finishes of second in several events.

The men’s side was again led by junior Paul Quincy, who continued a string of strong performances in medium and long-range races. Quincy provided two second-place finishes in the 500-yard freestyle and 1650 freestyle, as well as a fourth-place finish in the 200 freestyle.

Quincy’s cut 9.94 seconds off his previous time in the 500 freestyle, which was further evidence of his integral role on the team.

Sophomore Christian Kilgore and freshman Michael Ng aided the Blue and Gray with strong individual performances as well.

Kilgore gave the Blue and Gray a fourth-place finish of 59.66 in the 100 breaststroke that was only .06 seconds from placing, as well as a fifth-place finish in the 200 breaststroke.

While not placing in the top three in any races, Ng’s finishes of fourth in the 100 backstroke and fifth in the 200 backstroke were two of the Hoyas’ stronger individual performances.

Kilgore and Ng combined to give the Hoyas strong performances in the relay portions of the meet as well. Ng and Kilgore, together with freshman Will Lawler and sophomore Matt Mandel, placed second in the 400 medley relay with a time of 3:25.70.

Kilgore, Mandel, Ng and senior Greg Germain led the Blue and Gray to a fourth-place finish in the 200 medley relay with a time of 1:37.90.

On the women’s side, sophomore Lauren Opatrny bounced back from her last performance, leading the Hoyas and providing a major bright spot for the season’s future.

Opatrny placed third in the 200 individual medley and the 100 backstroke, while also placing a team-high second in the 100 butterfly in her best performance since Homecoming weekend against Towson. Her 100 butterfly time of 57.92 shaved almost a full second off her performance in Connecticut.

Junior Amy Ballanfant also turned in an encouraging performance for the Blue and Gray. Ballanfant placed fourth in the 50 freestyle and fifth in the 100 breaststroke.

The women’s side also received strong performances in the relay. Opatrny and Ballanfant, together with freshman Laura Tramer and sophomore Alexandra Van Nispen, opened the meet with a strong third-place finish in the 200 freestyle relay.

Freshmen Emily Hall, Casey Bandman and Tramer, together with junior Lisa Pazzi, combined to finish third in the 800 freestyle relay with a time of 8:07.19.

Both the men’s and women’s diving teams struggled over the weekend. Junior Brian McCallister, the Hoyas’ only male diver in the meet, finished seventh of eight entrants in both the 1- and 3-meter dives.

Freshman Lauren Kahan provided the top finish on the women’s diving side, placing seventh of 14 contestants in the 1m dive with a score of 232.90.

In the women’s 3m dive, sophomore Jen Purks led the Blue and Gray with a ninth-place finish.

The team will compete next on Nov. 18-20 at the Bucknell Invitational in Lewisburg, Pa.