Swimming & Diving | One Meet Left Before Big Easts

With the Big East championships less than two weeks away, Georgetown’s men’s and women’s swimming and diving team is set for a final tune-up against Maryland this Saturday.

The Hoyas hope to maintain the improvement they showed on senior night two Saturdays ago against George Washington.

“I was really happy with that meet. We were very prepared and jumped out to a good start and kept it up,” Head Coach Jamie Holder said.

Since facing the Colonials, Georgetown has started looking ahead to the Big East championships.

“We are starting to taper down, doing less yardage and focusing more on speed work,” Holder said.

Maryland is a more formidable foe than GWU, but Holder views Saturday’s meet as an opportunity to get into the pool for a final time before the team heads off to Louisville, Ky., to meet Big East competition.

“They are a very good team. We are looking to get some racing in, and Maryland has a very nice facility,” Holder said. “I don’t care if we win or lose. We just want to get prepared.”

The Maryland meet is critical, though, to the swimmers who are still looking to achieve the results required for Big East tournament qualification.

“We have three more swimmers to qualify on the guy’s side. Everyone is good with the divers and the women’s side,” Holder said. “They are well rested and are tapering for Saturday.”

After returning from College Park on Saturday, the Hoyas have five days before the Big East diving championship kicks off on Feb. 11.

“I’m excited for the Big East [championships],” Holder said. “I think people are starting to get sharper.”