Swimming & Diving: Quinn Stands Out at Relays

CAROLINE KENNEALLY FOR THE HOYA Junior Jared Cooper-Vespa won first place in the three-meter diving competition at the Hoyas’ meet last weekend.
CAROLINE KENNEALLY FOR THE HOYA
Junior Jared Cooper-Vespa won first place in the three-meter diving competition at the Hoyas’ meet last weekend.

Following last weekend’s season-opener, the Georgetown swimming and diving team will travel to Princeton, N.J., to scrimmage the Princeton Tigers today at 4 p.m. The Potomac Relays at American University and the dual meet at the University of Delaware this past Friday and Saturday, respectively, proved challenging for the Hoyas. Though the women defeated Saint Francis (Pa.), 209-82, they fell short of defeating Delaware 190-109. The men, too, lost to Delaware 180-118.

“We got to figure out where our holes are — where we are strong and where we need improvement,” Head Coach Jamie Holder said. “We were definitely a little under the weather and had a few injuries, especially in the butterfly and breast strokes, but those are pretty normal for this time of year, and we are going to get better with each meet.”

Although the Hoyas didn’t come out on top, there were still individual successes. Sophomore Madeleine Quinn won the women’s 1000-yard freestyle with a time of 10:34.13. She later finished second in the women’s 200 individual medley. This event was a sweep for the Hoyas, with sophomore Rachel Armstrong following in third and freshman Madeline Loniewski winning the race with a time of 2:13.29. Juniors Martín Vanin and David Chung clinched the top two spots in the men’s 100 butterfly, with times of 51.74 and 51.80, respectively.

On the diving side, junior Jared Cooper-Vespa took second place in the 1-meter diving competition and later took first in the 3-meter one, scoring 315.97 points. The senior captains were pleased with last weekend’s results.

“I think it was a great starting point for both the men’s and women’s teams,” senior captain Erin Timochenko said. “Overall, we were happy with the results, but there is still a lot of room for improvement.”

“The first meet of the year we usually have to shake out the cobwebs a little, but I think as a whole, the meet was a good one,” senior captain Michael Smigelski added. “We have a lot more meets coming up, so we’ll eventually get it down.”

Another silver lining in the Hoyas’ loss to the Blue Hens was the promise shown by the freshman class. Even though it was their first collegiate dual meet, they proved to be well-prepared for such upper-level competition. Freshman Arthur Wang earned the top spot in the men’s 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:01.25, and freshman Laine Morgan took second place in both the women’s 100 backstroke in 58.8 and the 100 freestyle in 53.10. She also took first with a time of 59.00 in the 100 butterfly.

“They’re great,” Smigelski said of the freshmen. “They have quickly come into their own, and there hasn’t been any growing pains as far as I can tell.”

Today, the Princeton scrimmage will give the Hoyas another opportunity to gauge where they currently are and where they need to be, in terms of training. This time, they will be able to do so without worrying about points. Due to a combination of lingering injuries and a demanding week of school, this will be another tough dual meet for the Hoyas, but it will also be great practice, especially with the addition of two extra events.

“I’m excited to see people just get up and race,” Timochenko said. “We are swimming at Princeton, which has a really great facility, so times should be pretty good. I think just getting up and racing the person next to you is what we are looking forward to most.”