Temporary Exhibits around the District

COURTESY PETER KEPHART

Days of Endless Time

COURTESY HIRSHHORN
COURTESY HIRSHHORN

The concept of time is a difficult one to grasp, especially in the fast-paced 21st century. This exhibit successfully captures moments in time through a series of photographs, creating a sense of timelessness. Sometimes it is difficult to escape reality and responsibilities, but this free exhibit provides the perfect atmosphere to unwind and get lost in abstract art. The various artists depict scenes taken from around the world, incorporating a myriad of people and cultures into one cohesive exhibit. The diversity of our world cannot be captured solely in a few photographs, but “Days of Endless Time” is as close as it can get.

Where: Hirshhorn
When: Oct. 16 to April 6
Price: Free

Richard Estes’ Realism

COURTESY AMERICAN ART MUSUEM
COURTESY AMERICAN ART MUSUEM

Richard Estes is a realist artist who has been portraying concepts devoid of subjective emotion for over 50 years. He portrays urban scenes and objects that are unambiguous and simple, such as escalators and trains, in a display of vibrant colors and unique textures. The realism of the picture is impressive: Most of his paintings greatly resemble photographs. The use of shadows, reflections and other realist techniques creates an exhibit that can be enjoyed both for its aesthetic appeal and for the immense talent of this realist artist.

Where: American Art Museum
When: Oct. 10 to Feb. 8
Price: Free

Face Value: Portraiture in the Age of Abstraction

COURTESY NATIONAL PORTRAIT GALLERY
COURTESY NATIONAL PORTRAIT GALLERY

In the age of selfies, it is difficult to imagine the days when painting portraits was the primary way of distributing your image to others. This exhibit analyzes the radical changes in portraiture over the centuries. It delves into the period after World War II, when the painting of portraits truly started to die out, and then chronicles the breakthroughs made in abstract portraits that developed in the 21st century.  Over 50 paintings, drawings and sculptures allow viewers to walk through history and see how the notion of a portrait as we know it has transformed over the years.

Where: National Portrait Gallery
When: Dec. 5 to Jan. 11
Price: Free

Peter Kephart: Setting the World on Fire, One Painting at a Time

COURTESY PETER KEPHART
COURTESY PETER KEPHART

Peter Kephart literally plays with fire. He consistently utilizes fire while creating his pieces, which makes for fascinating and unique art. He spreads gunpowder across his work in specific ways and then holds his canvas over a fire in order to create his desired effect. The collection that will be on display at the Zenith Gallery includes seven different works that display Kepart’s impressive range. From the colorful, vibrant and distinct work of “Fire in the Sky” to the mellow and dark “Abstract Natural #4,” there will be a lot to ponder at this exhibit.

Where: Zenith Gallery
When: Dec. 12 to Jan. 31
Price: Free