TENNIS | In First Yates Matches Since ’07, Women Endure GW Surge

The Georgetown women’s tennis team faced off against George Washington on Saturday in the two squads’ first meeting since a Colonials win during the 2008-2009 season. The excitement level for theHoyas was compounded by the fact that they were coming back to the Hilltop after three straight outings on the road.

Head Coach Gordie Ernst, who was unavailable for comment, indicated earlier to THE HOYA that he welcomed the chance to play at Yates, especially since it marked Georgetown’s first match in the gym in six years. The fans validated his anticipation, as those who came out to support the team helped propel the Blue and Gray to a hard-fought 4-3 victory.

George Washington had already defeated Howard earlier this year, meaning that Georgetown’s victory Saturday solidified them as one of the top squads in the D.C. area.

The Hoyas started off the match strong, winning the doubles point thanks to wins by the team of graduate student Liz Hamlin and freshman Taylor Perz as well as that of junior Madeline Jaeger and sophomore Sophie Panarese. That success was only a sign of better things to come at the start of singles play, as Georgetown went up 3-0 thanks in part to straight-set victories from senior captain Vicky Sekely and junior Kelly Comolli. Two close three-set losses followed, though, to bring the previously secure score to 3-2.

The match then came down to courts five and six, on which Hamlin came up big for the team with a dominant 6-1, 6-1 victory to cement the match for Georgetown. The Blue and Gray have been on a tear recently — having now won four straight after falling in their first match — and are looking to build on the momentum they have accumulated as they enter the crux of the spring season.

Next up for Georgetown will be a trip to Philadelphia for a match Wednesday with Temple, a team that has dropped three straight matches to start the season 1-5. Georgetown and Temple have both played one common foe in Campbell, against whom the Hoyas pulled out a 3-2 win while Temple fell 2-3.

Despite the difference in record, the match looks to be at least competitive as Georgetown tries to extend its win streak to five.