The Bubble Mentality

With all the resources of Hilltop life at our fingertips, it’s no wonder Georgetown students don’t pop the bubble more often.

The “Georgetown bubble” describes the physical and emotional isolation of life on the Hilltop. While it’s certainly fair to critique students’ level of engagement with the rest of the District, it’s also worth considering what — or who — is really at fault for the bubble’s existence.

It’s easy to blame Georgetown’s physical separation for students’ lack of involvement with the D.C. community. The campus is distant from downtown and deprived of adequate public transportation. A Metro stop or expanded GUTS bus service would likely expedite travel and save money, allowing more students to take part in protests, festivals and service opportunities.

The true culprit, however, is not a physical barrier but emotional barriers constructed by students themselves. It is easy to be consumed by college life and become disconnected from the outside world, but the real danger occurs when the bubble becomes an excuse for self-indulgent isolation. When students evoke the bubble in this way, it becomes a motivational barrier in and of itself.

While we encourage students to continue working to break out of the bubble, it’s also important to recognize that Georgetown’s insularity can contribute to our close-knit campus community. We don’t want Georgetown to blur the boundaries of campus, as is common at other urban colleges, particularly The George Washington University. As long as our campus-centered focus doesn’t contribute to apathy, it can lead to a greater appreciation for the brevity and significance of life on the Hilltop.