The Die-Hard Fan’s Blind Ode to Derek Jeter

The Die-Hard Fans Blind Ode to Derek Jeter
derek-jeter
SPORTSWORLDNEWS.COM

Throughout his career, Derek Jeter has achieved some of the most coveted awards in Major League Baseball. He has won five World Series, five Gold Gloves and five Silver Slugger Awards on top of being Rookie of the Year in 1996 and the 2000 World Series MVP. He is currently eighth on the all-time hits list and has been captain of the New York Yankees since 2003.

Derek Jeter is a franchise player, an all-time great, but on Thursday he became something even more rare: a 40-year-old professional athlete.

As a Red Sox fan, I hate Jeter. But, like everyone should, I respect him. Jeter has always worked hard and stayed out of the media’s way. He answers questions with the right answer, takes responsibility for mistakes, acknowledges opposing teams’ triumphs and never throws teammates under the bus. He represents what baseball is supposed to be.

And for a long time, it seemed like Jeter would play forever. He defied tradition and never truly slowed down despite his age. It enraged me. Year after year, I thought this would be the year that Derek Jeter becomes irrelevant. But every year, I was wrong. He still hit .300, won Gold Gloves — in short, he was still Jeter.

But regardless of his accomplishments, Jeter did — and still does — have his critics. There are those who question his defense: Neither his range nor his arm strength is great and his signature jump-throw move makes routine plays more difficult. Others argue that he should have changed positions at various points in his career.

However, at the end of the day, Jeter produces. Despite his “questionable” defense, he was named the Yankees starting shortstop at the tender age of 21 and earned five Gold Gloves. That “questionable” defense was an integral part of five World Series Championship teams.

Year in and year out, Jeter put up solid numbers, but people began to doubt him in 2010 when some thought his .270 season indicated a decline. Naturally, he later silenced those critics with a .297 season in 2011.

But in 2012, that all changed. In the regular season Jeter hit .316 and was part of a Yankee team that threatened to make a World Series run. The Yanks slid by the Orioles and were set to face the Detroit Tigers in the ALCS. But disaster struck for New York in Game 1. In the top of the 12th Jeter fractured his ankle on a semi-routine ground ball. Perhaps it was the injury, or perhaps it’s his age, but regardless, he has not been the same since.

Jeter returned in July 2013, only to go back on the disabled list three more times for a quad strain, a calf strain and after reinjuring his ankle. He appeared in only 17 games.

This season, a healthy Jeter continues to show his demise. He is hitting a paltry .268 — far below his career .311 average — and is 14th among all shortstops in measurable fielding statistics.

However, despite these dismal numbers, fans remain in denial. They cannot see nor accept that Jeter’s time is limited. They don’t see the .268, 17-RBI shortstop. Instead, they continue to see their captain, Mr. November, the .311 shortstop. And for this very reason, Jeter most likely, undeservingly so, will be the starting shortstop for the AL in this year’s All-Star game.

As fans, we use Jeter’s 40th to remind us that his time in baseball is ending. He is this generation’s face of baseball and that is why it is so difficult to believe that in a few short months, the late Bob Sheppard’s voice will introduce the captain for the last time.

But this is not to say Jeter should win awards by default. He shouldn’t be voted to the All-Star game because we are in denial of his demise.

It is hard to imagine baseball without Derek Jeter. But he and his accomplishments will stand the test of time, and we needn’t pad the statistics.

Carolyn Maguire is a rising junior in the College Sideline Summer appears every other Friday at thehoya.com