The Editorial Board Says ‘Thanks’

University staff: Even as visions of turkey and mashed potatoes dance in our heads, we’re thankful for O’Donovan Dining Hall — or more specifically, the employees who prepare and serve us meals. Working long hours at an often thankless task, workers at the dining hall and other on-campus services still manage to keep a friendly outlook as they dish out and clean up after hordes of students and other community members.

Top-tier professors: As a research university, we are fortunate to have professors who are busy conducting cutting edge research in their respective fields. As undergraduate students, we are fortunate that these professors are willing to take the time to teach us — not just graduate students. Notable names teach seminars every semester, and some, like Madeleine Albright, even take students out to lunch.

Georgetown University Grilling Society: The best reward for attending a Friday morning discussion section is undoubtedly a GUGS burger. The famed culinary group provides students with a chance to socialize while waiting in line for the most cost-efficient — and best-tasting — meal to kick off the weekend.

More than a Mascot: At a university with an athletic culture like ours, it’s important that we have a great force to rally our spirits at Verizon Center. While students who don the bulldog costume do a fantastic job, we’re thankful to have our own living and breathing Jack the Bulldog, who roams across campus along with students and staff.

On-campus employment opportunities: The availability of student jobs on campus often remains unknown and unappreciated by undergraduates. Jobs offered by the admissions office, LauingerLibrary and Yates Field House help pay our tuition or line our pockets with a little spending money.

Speaker events on the web: High-profile speaker events are a highlight of the Georgetown experience, but limited seating and personal scheduling conflicts can make it difficult to attend them. Fortunately, the university has done an impressive job of offering live webcasts for many events, and an online archive makes it possible to relive memorable speeches.

Celebrating 21st birthdays at The Tombs: Although we may not always remember the night itself, we’re thankful for 21st birthdays at the Tombs. There are plenty of bars that will acknowledge this rite of passage, but nothing says “Georgetown” quite like that stamp on your forehead and drink tally on your arm.

Movie screenings on campus: Students often don’t have the time or change to head down to K Street to catch the latest flick at AMC Loews Georgetown; we’re grateful to the Georgetown Program Board for showing recent blockbusters free of charge in Gaston Hall or the Intercultural Center. Special seasonal screenings, like “It’s A Wonderful Life,” are an added bonus.

The College Readership Program: While newspaper subscriptions dwindle nationally, we appreciate that Georgetown University Student Association President Mike Meaney (SFS ’12) and Vice President Greg Laverriere (COL ’12) reinstated the Collegiate Readership Program. There’s nothing like being able to pick up The New York Times, The Washington Post and USA Today in the morning alongside our own campus publications.