The Travel Issue

B1_TravelIssue-01
GRAPHIC BY PETER SHAMAMIAN AND MINA LEE

FromTheEditor_Web-01

Former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom Benjamin Disraeli once opined: “Like all great travellers, I have seen more than I remember and remember more than I have seen.”

Whether or not you agree with Disraeli as a political figure, as a traveller, he hits the nail on the head. In foreign domains full of new sights, sounds and experiences, it is not uncommon for travellers to feel overwhelmed; dropping precious memories or muddling the details.

Although it is certainly exciting, enchanting and educational to travel, one of my favorite parts of travelling is returning home. The first time I left the United States, I was not even a year old. Raised in China by my grandparents, my first and oldest memory is meeting my parents in the San Francisco airport at the age of three. Since then, every time I meet my family at Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport, I am struck by how much I appreciate my homes both here on the Hilltop and in Arizona.

Since I have come to Georgetown, I never go a day on campus without hearing passionate conversations in a melange of different languages. Hoyas come from every corner of the globe, carrying stories of exotic locales to which they long to return or of hometowns they miss.

Whether you are a regular jet setter, a restless adventurer or even a vicarious expedition planner, we wanted to see the world through your eyes and help you remember what you have seen. We wanted to visit your home, at least through prose and photos. On a planet that seems to grow more connected through technology, the potential for personal exploration and wanderlust is still immeasurably vast — sights to be seen, sounds to be heard, scents to be smelled.

In this vein, we have launched The Hoya’s first-ever travel issue, full of photos, guides and essays submitted by students. In the print issue, we selected our favorites to share, but we were deeply honored to read and look at each submission, and all are published in full here online. Your submissions were honest, personal, funny and heartwarming. Through them, we traveled the world with you, studied abroad and saw your homes as you do.

Thank you for sharing these precious memories with us, and safe travels in all your future journeys.

FromTheEditor_Web-02

Marina Tian, Guide Editor

24Hours_Web-01

24 Hours in Dublin, Ireland | Katherine Pietro (COL ’17)

24 Hours in Mexico City, Mexico | Dani Guerrero (SFS ’20)

24 Hours in Madrid, Spain | Sarah Wright (SFS ’18)

WhatIsHome_Web-01

A Home of Fear, Warmth, Conflict and Joy | Palestinian territories | Yasmeen El-Hasan (SFS ’20)

From Miles Away, Learning to Love Home | Hilo, Hawai’i | Alyssa Volivar (MSB ’18)

Welcome Home, Bienvenido a Casa | Mexico City, Mexico; Washington, D.C. | Dani Guerrero (SFS ’20)

StoriesFromAbroad_Web-01

Finding Family and Forgoing Farewells | Bangalore, India | Priyanka Dinakar (COL ’19)

Scenes and Lessons in an Italian Bar | Fiesole, Italy | Dan Dougherty (COL ’17)

Adapting to the Land of the Eternal Blue Sky | Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia | Stella Cai (SFS ’19)

The Persistence of Memory at Auschwitz | Kraków, Poland | Alexander Coopersmith (COL ’19)

Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 4.48.24 AM

AROUND THE WORLD IN 132 PHOTOS

Photos courtesy of Alexandra Brunjes (COL ’20), Stella Cai (SFS ’19), Celine Calpo (COL ’19), Erick Castro (COL ’18), Elizabeth Cavacos (COL ’17), Madeline Charbonneau (COL ’20), Grace Chung (COL ’20), Spencer Cook (SFS ’20), Aidan Curran (MSB ’18), Naia Daniel (COL ’19), Casey Doyle (COL ’18), Isabelle Groenewegen (COL ’20),  Dani Guerrero (SFS ’20), Russell Guertin (SFS ’18), Toby Hung (COL ’18), Yewande Ilawole (COL ’20), Olivia Jimenez (COL ’20), Janine Karo (COL ’19), Grace Laria (SFS ’19), Michael Li (SFS ’17), Will Linde (SFS ’20), Rachel Linton (SFS ’19), John Matthews (COL ’18), Bethania Michael (SFS ’19), Tyler Micheletti (COL ’18), John Miller (SFS ’19), Luc Nikiema (COL ’20), Aly Pachter (COL ’19), Tyler Park (COL ’18), Katherine Pietro (COL ’17), Alessandra Puccio (COL ’17), Jesus Rodriguez (SFS ’19), Sophia Ronga (COL ’18), Tara Subramaniam (SFS ’19), Devin Slaugenhaupt (SFS ’18), Marina Tian (NHS ’19), Hannah Urtz (SFS ’20), Gabriella Wan (NHS ’19), Daniel Wassim (SFS ’18), Sarah Wright (SFS ’18), Stephanie Yuan (NHS ’19) and William Zhu (COL ’19)

HEADER GRAPHICS BY AMANDA HU/THE HOYA