Thefts in District Spike 21 Percent

Thefts in the Metropolitan Police Department’s second district, which includes Georgetown, have spiked 17 percent since Jan. 1, in keeping with a trend of increasing theft across D.C.

Between Jan. 1 and March 21, a total of 592 thefts occurred in the second district, an increase from the 505 committed during the same period last year.

Citywide, a five-year high of 2,119 thefts occurred since the beginning of the year, a 21 percent increase from the 1,756 that were reported during this period in 2011.

Throughout the past five years, thefts between Jan. 1 and March 21 have increased by 29 percent across D.C. and by 21 percent in the second district.

The trend of rising theft is not reflected at the university. The Department of Public Safety reported 58 thefts between Jan. 1 and March 22 of 2011, compared to 56 thefts during the same period this year.

However, the university has experienced a recent increase in burglaries. DPS reported 19 burglaries this year, while three had been reported by this point last year.

Many of these burglaries involved computers. Twelve burglaries occurred at administrative and academic buildings since Jan. 1, and in eight of these, some kind of computer equipment was stolen.

Meanwhile, citywide burglaries between Jan. 1 and March 21 decreased 25 percent, from 819 to 611 incidents. In the second district, burglaries dropped from 131 to 73, a 44 percent drop.