Thompson III Lands Fourth Recruit

It is still unknown whether center Greg Monroe will enter the NBA draft or return for his junior season, but either way the Hoyas have bolstered their frontcourt depth for next season. According to The Washington Post, the Hoyas received a commitment from 6-foot-9 power forward Moses Abraham, originally from Kano, Nigeria.

“Progressive Christian basketball player Moses Abraham, a 6-foot-9 forward in the Class of 2010, orally committed Thursday to play for Georgetown,” the Post reported. “Abraham arrived in the United States last November and had been recruited by Indiana, Maryland, Tennessee and UCLA, among others. Abraham made a two-day official visit to Indiana earlier this week, after which Joe Boncore, Abraham’s adviser, had what he called `a long talk’ with Georgetown Coach John Thompson III and former Georgetown Coach John Thompson II. Following that discussion, Abraham chose to commit to the Hoyas.”

Abraham, a local athlete who plays AAU ball for the DC Assault, is a four-star recruit according to Rivals.com and a three-star recruit according to Scout.com. He will join three other recruits in the Georgetown Class of 2014 – 6-foot-8, 227-pound power forward Nate Lubick, 6-foot, 157-pound point guard Markel Starks and 6-foot-5, 180-pound small forward Aaron Bowen.

While Thompson has not brought in any McDonald’s All-Americans or particularly big names, the Hoyas should enjoy more quality depth up and down the roster in 2010-2011 than they did this season, which ended in a 97-83 loss to No. 14 seed Ohio in the first round of the NCAA tournament.

In the event that Monroe decides to return, the Hoyas would have multiple options at every spot on the floor. Starting point guard Chris Wright could be spelled by Starks or Vee Sanford, while shooting guard Jason Clark can also play the one effectively. Versatility in the backcourt would allow Thompson to use different combinations at the guard positions.

Austin Freeman would start again at the third guard/small forward spot, and behind him would be Hollis Thompson, who showed significant growth from start to finish this season, and Bowen. At power forward, the Hoyas would return Julian Vaughn and Jerrelle Benimon in addition to newcomers Lubick and Abraham, and Monroe and Henry Sims would be the men in the middle.

Assuming Monroe will be back in a Georgetown uniform next season is premature and might be wishful thinking, but the Hoyas received another upgrade with the addition of Abraham to an already deep recruiting class. Especially in the rough and tough Big East, able bodies are always a good thing to have.