Top GU Fundraiser Leaves for Oregon

The Oregon State University Foundation has hired an associate from Georgetown’s Office of Alumni and University Relations as senior vice president for development.

Shawn Scoville, associate vice president of OAUR, will join the OSU Foundation in Corvallis, Ore. on Feb. 7, according to a report in The Business Journal of Portland, Ore.

Scoville led the main campus fundraising efforts during the university’s $1 billion Third Century Campaign, completed in Dec. 2003. He directed 40 people in nine development units to raise $709 million for the university’s main campus, doubling the number of endowed student scholarships, professorships and chairs, according to a press release from OSU.

“We are very proud of the work we’ve done in the Third Century Campaign, and obviously the university wishes Shawn Scoville the best,” university spokeswoman Laura Cavender said.

Scoville joins former OAUR Vice President Mike Goodwin, who became the OSU Foundation’s CEO in November. Goodwin was credited with designing and implementing the Third Century Campaign, as well as more than tripling the productivity of the development staff, OSU’s press release said.

Scoville’s work at the OSU Foundation will involve major gifts, similar to his fundraising duties and efforts at Georgetown.

OAUR was fundamental in the fundraising of the Third Century Campaign, which addressed some of the university’s major facilities’ needs in addition to endowed scholarships, faculty positions, and annual giving.

The office is also credited with increasing the annual giving rate to Georgetown from $8.5 million in 1995 to $20 million in 2003.

The OSU Foundation is a nonprofit organization that raises private funds for scholarships, research, teaching and facilities. Recent major fund-raising projects include construction of an engineering building and the expansion of a sports stadium, the press release said.