Track & Field | Hoyas Begin New Year With 2nd Place Finish

GEORGETOWN ATHLETIC MEDIA RELATIONS
Senior Hannah Neczypor earned first place finishes in the 800m and one mile runs at the Father Diamond Invitational on Saturday.
GEORGETOWN ATHLETIC MEDIA RELATIONS Senior Hannah Neczypor earned first place finishes in the 800m and one mile runs at the Father Diamond Invitational on Saturday.
GEORGETOWN ATHLETIC MEDIA RELATIONS

In their first events in 2015, the Georgetown men’s and women’s track and field teams traveled to Fairfax, Va., on Saturday for the Father Diamond Invitational, their second meet of the indoor track and field season. Both the men’s team and No.10 women’s team finished second overall in their meets, scoring 137 and 146 points, respectively, aided by strong results in long-distance individual running events.

The men’s team recorded several first-place finishes during the meet behind stellar performances from several underclassmen. Freshman Joe White finished first in the 500-meter relay with a time of 1:04.02 while sophomores Ryan Manahan and Connor Sheryak finished first in the 800m and the mile run with times of 1:50.73 and 4:17.76, respectively. The men’s relay team, consisting of White, sophomore Nathaniel Gordon, Ledder and freshman Nick Sullivan rounded out the top finishes, placing first in the 4x400m relay with a time of 3:21.15.

The Blue and Gray also notched a top spot in the 1000m race when graduate student Billy Ledder won with a time of 2:25.13.
The women’s team enjoyed similar success in the long-distance events, finishing a number of notable individual performances. Georgetown runners took the top three spots in the 800m, captured first and second place in the 500m, 1000m, and one-mile events, and secured first place in the 3000m.

Similar to the efforts behind the successes of the men’s team, runners from every year anchored some of the top finishes for the women. The women’s 4x4000m relay team, consisting of graduate student Deseree King, sophomore Sabrina Southerland and freshmen Piper Donaghu and Jody-Ann Knight finished in second place with a time of 3:53.04. Freshman Kennedy Weisner came in first in the 1000m with a time of 2:50.05. Graduate student Joanna Stevens won the 3000m run with a time of 9:48.18.

Adding to the women’s accomplishments were Southerland and senior Hannah Necyzpor who both earned top finishes in two events. In addition to her role in the 4x4000m relay, Southerland also finished first in the 500m with a time of 1:14.04. Necyzpor won the 800m with a time of 2:13.17 and went on to win the mile event with a time of 4:52.40.

Georgetown was second only to George Mason, the university hosting the meet, which finished first overall in the men’s and women’s events with 213 and 160 points, respectively. While the men’s team fell to George Mason by a difference of 76 points, the women’s finished within 16 points of the Patriots.

THE HOYA reached out to Georgetown Athletics Sports Information prior to publication, but was unable to reach any coaches or players for comments on the runners’ performances at the meet.

The Georgetown track and field teams will face their next opponents at the Penn State Relays in State College, Pa. on Jan. 17.