TRACK & FIELD | Hoyas Excel in 1st Outdoor Meet

In its first outdoor meet of the season, the Georgetown track and field team travelled to Richmond this past weekend to take part in the Spider Invitation. Despite having several runners competing outside of their normal events, the Hoyas performed well.

On the women’s side, Georgetown took first place in four events: the 100-meter dash, the 1500m, the 3000m and the 4-x-400 relay.

The Hoyas performed especially well in the 1500m run, capturing the top five spots. Seniors Chelsea Cox, Becca Deloache and Shanique Dasilva finished first, second and third, respectively. Freshman Bobbie Burgess and senior Jenna Davidner added to the Hoyas’ impressive middle distance performance, finishing first and third in the 3000m.

“I was really pleased with our women’s middle distance group,” Director of Track and Field and Cross-Country Patrick Henner said. “They are more all 800m runners like Chelsea Cox, Becca Deloache and Shanique Dasilva. They all ran the 1500, and we went one through five in that event.”

Henner was also pleased with the performance of his men’s side, where the Blue and Gray finished first in two events. The team’s best performance of the day came in the 3000m steeplechase: Graduate student Dylan Sorenson was able to take first place, while seniors Matt Howard and Max Darrah finished second and third, respectively.

“We went one, two and three in the steeplechase. The times that Dylan and Matt ran will probably get them into the first round NCAA regionals,” Henner said.

Despite failing to take first in any individual events, junior sprinter Tyler Smith had a strong meet. Smith finished in sixth in the 100m dash, as well as 16th out of 53 in the 400m dash.

“I was really pleased with Tyler Smith. He ran well in the 100m and then did a great job in the 400,” Henner said. “I am really excited with what he can do.”

Qualifying for the NCAA regionals is the main goal for the Hoyas at this point in the season, and the men’s team took a positive step forward in that direction this weekend.

Senior Eghosa Aghayre was able to set his personal record in the men’s triple jump. Henner is confident about his junior’s NCAA odds.

“I think he is sitting right now number eight in the East,” Henner said. “He put up a mark that should get him into the NCAA first round.”

The meet was the beginning of a grueling stretch for the Hoyas, as they will compete in a meet almost every weekend until the Big East Championships in May. After that, Georgetown will have little rest before the NCAA regionals.

Until then, the Hoyas wil look to make improvements and to stay healthy. Each meet provides another chance to make adjustments and qualify for regionals. Henner emphasized that his team needs to become more adapt at competing in events outside of its comfort zone.

“We take a holistic approach, meaning that we want to train all the energy systems and we want to train all-around athletes,” Henner said. “I think it is important with our philosophy that the athletes feel comfortable running at shorter distances than their main event and also longer distances than their main event.”

Georgetown will send members of its team all over the country to compete next weekend. Some sprinters and jumpers will travel to the University of Florida, while some long-distance runners will make their way to Stanford to compete in the Cardinal Relays. The rest of the team will be in Williamsburg, Va., for the Colonial Relays.