TRACK AND FIELD | Georgetown Stands Out Among Tough Competition at Penn State

After a two week break from competition, Georgetown’s track and field teams returned to action in University Park in the Penn State National on Friday and Saturday, stealing four first-place spots and four additional top-three finishes.  

Over 20 schools competed against each other for the two-day meet in over 60 events.

The men’s squad put on impressive performances in the middle distance and long distance events. In the 800-meter run, All-American senior Joseph White put up a facility record time of 1:46.91. White placed first in the event, with teammate sophomore Ruach Padhal finishing three seconds behind him to place in third.

Having placed first two weeks ago at the Nittany Lion Challenge, junior Jack Salisbury continued his winning streak in the 1000-meter run and took a victory for the team again at this weekend’s meet.

In the long-distance events, sophomore Lawrence Leake ran the fifth-fastest 400-meter race of the meet with a time of 47.96 seconds.

After a neck-and-neck race, senior Nick Wareham was edged out by just one hundredth of a second in the mile to finish in second place. Sophomores Jack Van Scoter and Matthew Bouthillette also broke through the top five to finish fourth and fifth respectively.

GUHOYAS | Senior Joseph White posted a facility record in the 800 meter

The Hoya women pulled off a pair of victories in the 600-meter run and in the mile. Another individual highlight from the weekend came from freshman Cathilyn McIntosh, who finished first in the 600-meter race for her first collegiate career win as a Hoya. McIntosh’s teammate, sophomore Lexi Del Gizzo, followed close after, placing third in the same event.

The women’s 4×400-meter relay also placed second in their heat, as sophomore Olivia Arizin, the third runner on the Hoya team, made up ground by catching the runners in front of her.

Adding another victory for Georgetown, graduate student Josette Norris won the mile race with a time of 4:46, beating the second place finisher from Cornell in a close race by just over a second.

Though the Blue and Gray struggled overall in sprints, the men’s 4×400-meter relay squad of junior Quincey Wilson, Leake, Padhal and White managed to secure a place in the top three with a time of 3:14.7.

This weekend the Hoyas will travel to Staten Island, N.Y., for the Villanova Invitational hosted at the Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex on Saturday, Feb. 2.