Act Now to Defend Just Employment Policy

To the Editor:

On Sept. 29, a delegation of Georgetown students, union organizers, and Allied-Barton security guards (subcontracted workers that guard the dormitories at night) delivered a petition on behalf of Allied-Barton guards to President DeGioia’s office, demanding better wages, support in their efforts to unionize, and treatment in accordance with the Just Employment Policy. Since the delivery of this petition, the Just Employment Policy continues to be dishonored, and the conditions have actually worsened.

To begin, the Allied-Barton workers are no closer to their living wage. After receiving a seven cent raise over the summer (still keeping them over $2 away from the $13 target hourly compensation), no one has taken any further action to increase their wages.

Of even more concern is the outright intimidation and harassment that the guards have experienced because of their efforts to form a union. Since the petition was delivered, Allied guards have been required to attend captive-audience meetings in which anti-union propaganda was forced upon them. As a result, the workers’ attitudes have drastically changed: Before they were eager to engage in discussions about unions. Now, when approached by students, there seems to be a fear that was not present before. The intimidation that is the root of this change in attitude is not just inappropriate, it is illegal – it is in defiance of Georgetown’s policy and American labor law.

Allied-Barton is a multi-million dollar company that provides security guards at many other locations across the country. It is no rookie to anti-union behavior. Two security guards from the University of Pennsylvania participated in a speakout in Uncommon Grounds this past Tuesday to share their experiences of being suspended after leading their campus workers in union efforts. We have to act now and support our workers to ensure that this pattern doesn’t continue at Georgetown.

Geoff Paquette (SFS ’06) Emily Napalo (COL ’06) Oct. 26, 2005