Another NIT Win

Charles Nailen/The Hoya Junior forward Mike Sweetney scored 26 as the Hoyas advanced in the NIT.

With junior forward Mike Sweetney watching from the bench, freshman forward Brandon Bowman and sophomore guard Tony Bethel led a late-game charge against the Providence Friars. Bowman, Bethel and junior guard Gerald Riley continued to light up the scoreboard during the closing moments, helping the Hoyas (17-14) upset the Friars (18-14) 67-58 last night at the Dunkin Donuts Center in Providence, R.I.

With 26 points and 11 boards, Sweetney notched his 38th career double-double. Bowman approached double-double numbers with eight points – including the Hoyas’ first four of the match – and 12 rebounds. The foul line was friendly to Bethel, especially in the second half, when he scored 10 of his 18 total points on free throws. Riley contributed the team’s third double-figure scoring effort, adding 11 points.

Georgetown held Providence to 34.5 percent shooting from the field, including 3-of-20 from the three-point line. Despite being in the bonus for the last 12 minutes of the second half, the Friars were 15-of-26 from the charity stripe.

Sophomore forward Ryan Gomes led the Friars with 21 points and a game-high 13 rebounds. Freshman guard Donnie McGrath and sophomore forward Rob Sanders each added 10 of Providence’s 58 points.

Junior guard Shieku Kabba, who is second on the team in scoring with 10.1 points per game, notched just five against the Hoyas. Kabba made just one trey and two free throws, going an abysmal 1-for-12 from the floor.

The teams were evenly matched in the first half, with nine ties and eight lead changes during the first 20 minutes. The Friars jumped out to an early 6-2 lead but an 8-2 Hoya run quickly negated that, giving Georgetown a single-possession advantage.

Despite committing 16 turnovers, the Hoyas went into the locker room down by only two. They might have had the lead had senior forward Victor Samnick not missed two layups and a jumper in the last three minutes of the half, depriving the team of six possible points.

Georgetown turned over the ball another 10 times in the second half, though the majority of those came in the early minutes.

Gomes hit a layup five seconds into the second half to put his team up 28-24, but the Friars could not hang on to that lead. The Hoyas went on an 8-0 run and permanently moved ahead of their opponent. They were helped by a technical foul on junior center arcus Douthit, which gave Riley two shots and the opportunity to tie the game at 28. He made both.

With 15 minutes to go, a frenzy of Hoya fouls began – including two that sidelined Sweetney. He was called for his third and fourth personal fouls just 18 seconds apart. Three more fouls on Bowman, Riley and senior forward Courtland Freeman put the Friars in bonus with 13 minutes to go in the game. Foul trouble ultimately forced Freeman to leave the game with 3:07 to go, after he committed a reach against Gomes.

Providence pulled within three points of Georgetown but the Hoya defense held fast. Forcing turnovers and blocking several key shots, the Hoyas opened the widest margin of the match at 10:38 following a layup by Bowman.

Providence was held scoreless from the field for 10 minutes during the second half, allowing Georgetown to build its lead to 62-49 following a Sweetney dunk with 1:27 to go.

Kabba was called for an intentional foul with just 26 seconds left to go, giving Bethel two shots. Bethel made one of the two free throws and sophomore guard Drew Hall kept the ball away from Providence on the ensuing possession as the clock wound down.

In their only other match against Providence this season, Georgetown defeated its conference rival 71-56 at MCI Center. With last night’s victory away from Washington, the Hoyas extended their current road winning streak to five games.

Georgetown will face the North Carolina Tar Heels Wednesday night at the Dean E. Smith Center in Chapel Hill, N.C. for the NIT Quarterfinals.

The Tar Heels (19-15) won soundly over the Wyoming Cowboys (21-11) last night by a 90-74 margin. Sophomore guard Melvin Scott and freshman guard Rashad McCants tied with a game-high 20 points. Scott went 8-of-12 from the floor, including 4-of-7 from beyond the arc. The Tar Heels shot 52 percent from the field while holding the Cowboys to 45 percent.