As This Season Ends, Tradition Must Continue

This weekend the door slammed shut on my collegiate basketball experience with a resounding thud. The game was as thrilling as any in my four years here, but like so many close games and overtime contests before, the Hoyas fell flat when it mattered most.

And so, barring an invite to the NIT, the final game I will ever see as a student fittingly ended in a loss. I’ve analyzed our play. I’ve tried to offer explanations about how the Hoyas can possibly be this bad. But all that’s served to do is make me even more depressed that Georgetown is struggling to reach the Big East tournament despite the presence of a power forward that nearly posted a quadruple-double Saturday.

It’s with this in mind that I’m not going to try to pick apart the Syracuse game, looking for the one play that lost it (cough, cough, Tony Bethel dribbling through the double-team) or reasons why `Cuse was able to hang in the game (ahem, rebounding). Instead, I’m going to take a little trip down memory lane to comment on my experience as a fan for the past four years.

I’ve heard about the trips out to Continental Airlines Arena from past students. How it would take hours, not minutes, to drive out there. Still, the MCI experience has worn on me for the past four years. The thing that bothers me the most isn’t the commute but the fact that Hoya fans continually fail to half-fill the arena. And I don’t fault the students. Most weekend games, the student section is full. I do fault whoever prices the tickets, whether it’s Ticketmaster, MCI or Georgetown. For mid-court seats, the price, as quoted to me at the box office, is $35 dollars. That’s not awful for a seat on the floor. The problem is, that’s also the price for the mid-court seat in the upper-tier.

With ridiculous prices like that, it’s no wonder that most non-alumni fans in the District take a pass on Hoya home games. Washington is a great town with lots to do, and when you’re asking for $35 a pop, people are much more likely to go and watch another team or entertain themselves in another way rather than pay a decent chunk of change to repeatedly see a team lose close games.

Before I move on, I’d also like to address the issue of the nazi-like ushers at MCI. In my four years here I have never, not once, found more unaccommodating employees. On several different occasions, most recently against Syracuse, I’ve watched them hassle students who have lost their ticket stubs while going for refreshments or to the bathroom. The way they prevent these kids from going back to their seats you’d think that they were tasked with restricting entry into Fort Knox. These people will not let anyone sit anywhere other than where their ticket says for them to sit.

Even when I attended a game against Notre Dame freshman year, with my parents, the ushers refused to let me sit with them because I had a student ticket, never mind the fact that no one else was sitting in their section and they had empty seats to their right and left and were seated higher up than the student section. So here’s a tip for the folks who coordinate our use of MCI Center, when a business is struggling for customers, (as Georgetown basketball is) it’s probably not a good idea to repeatedly hassle and offend the clientele who do show up. Just a thought.

As I bring all this to a close I feel that I should comment on a good trend I’ve seen lately. In the past I’ve criticized Hoya Blue for not doing enough to get the student section involved in the game and with the team. Despite repeated claims that t-shirts would be present, as well as a stat and cheer sheet, I had never seen them. Whether they did not exist or there was just a flaw in the distribution system, I had never received either despite arriving well before the game.

Both at the UCLA game and at the recent Syracuse game, however, there were plenty of t-shirts to go around as well as cheer sheets. This is an encouraging sign and something that should continue next season. I encourage the next generation of Hoya Blue to pick up where this effort has left off and build upon the existing cheers and solicit even more ideas from the student body. In the short term, congratulations on taking a very successful and much needed stride.