At Home Tourney, Four Hoyas Win Big

Over 75 athletes from 11 universities competed this past weekend at the 25th annual D.C. Metropolitan Championships, and four tennis players from Georgetown were among the victors at the Hoyas’ first competition this season.

Junior Bert Baggio took the Flight B singles crown with a 6-4, 2-6, 10-5 defeat of Howard University’s Faron Carter. Along the way, he topped No. 1 Daniel Balke of George Washington University and No. 9 Othmane Garma of Howard.

In the Flight C men’s singles, No. 1 Kevin Killeavy, a Georgetown junior, smoothly took the crown with four straight wins and a score of 6-0, 6-4 in the finals over No. 2 Kevin Walsh, a freshman and fellow Hoya.

In Flight B the men’s doubles teams did exceedingly well, with both duos reaching the finals and battling for the title. Freshman pair Ryan Goldstein and James Portnoy defeated Walsh and sophomore Richard Moran 8-6, 6-4.

In Flight B women’s singles, freshman Natalie Newman topped fellow Hoya Krstin Dew, a senior, by a score of 6-1, 6-0 in the finals.

The strong showing by younger players was a promising sign for Georgetown, which lists on its roster only two returning seniors and 10 incoming freshmen between the men’s and women’s teams.

The Flight A freshman duo of Ken Wong and Adam Gross lost early in the doubles bracket but came back with a 9-7, 7-5 win in their Flight A consolation game.

In other men’s doubles play, the pairs of sophomores Etienne Paris and Scott Maucher, sophomore Andrew Clayton and Baggio, and sophomore Theodore Tywang and Killeavy all reached the quarterfinals.

The women’s doubles teams, however, were not quite as successful, with losses in the first round for freshman duos Mary O’Laughlin and Lauren Bakios, and Courtney Olsen and Taylor artin. But Dew and freshman Natalie Newman together reached the quarterfinals, while the sophomore pair of Stephanie Cohen and Adriann Gin and the duo of junior Eileen Boyle and senior Charlotte Guy reached the semifinals in Flights A and B, respectively.

Cohen continues to play well this season, confidently reaching the finals of Flight A women’s singles before losing the title match to Anastasia Skrasvonskia of George Washington University by a score of 6-1, 6-4.

In Flight C, Boyle and Guy each played into the semifinals and were matched against each other, resulting in a 6-4, 6-3 win for Boyle.

Gin and Bakios both reached the quarterfinals but fell to the No. 1 and No. 2 seeds.

O’ Loughlin, Martin, Moran and Tywang, meanwhile, were winless in their first singles matches but each made gains in the consolation rounds. In spite of an early loss, O’Loughlin pressed on to take four wins and captured the Flight C consolation title.

Wong won once in Flight A singles and earned a hard-fought victory, 4-6, 6-4,10-6, in consolation.

Overall, the Hoya women captured a total of 29 singles victories and eight doubles wins, while the men’s team notched 31 singles victories and 12 doubles wins.

The next game for the women’s team is the Baltimore-Washington Challenge from today through Sunday at the cDonough Courts, while the men will travel to the ECAC Team Invitational at the USTA National Tennis Center in New York.