Athletics Department Must Remember the Fans

To the Editor:

I agree with all of Matt Kamenski’s suggestions for creating a more energized atmosphere at the student section of the CI Center for Hoya basketball games (“Stand Up, Hoyas,” The Hoya, Nov. 9, 2004, A3).

The Athletics department, however, has once again demonstrated its callous disregard for devoted fans, and even before the basketball season has even begun. More than a few of us have noticed that the game against the National Champion Connecticut Huskies is scheduled for noon on Jan. 8.

The only problem is that the vast majority of students will still be out of town for Christmas break. Indeed, Georgetown residence halls do not reopen until Jan. 11.

I realize that there are numerous factors that must be considered when creating a basketball schedule, especially media contracts. However, Georgetown should have ensured that the most exciting game of the year was not played during Christmas break.

When the Athletics department does things like this, they shouldn’t be surprised when there is a less than fervent student support for the team.

Joe Zwosta (COL ’07) Nov. 9, 2004