Beltway Meet Brings Big East Qualifiers

Last weekend the Georgetown swimming and diving teams traveled to College Park, Md. to compete in their final head to head meet of the season against the University of Maryland Terrapins. The Big East championships were less than two weeks away and the team sought to put up better times to gain more qualifiers and to be eligible for higher seeds.

“It went very well; we did exactly what we needed to, which is to get out into a fast pool,” Head Swimming Coach Steve Cartwright said.

The Terrapins, who were celebrating their senior day, won both the men’s and the women’s meets. The Hoya men were defeated 140-98 and the women lost 134-94. However, the team was preparing for the Big East, which remains its priority.

“It was kind of a tune-up meet for us,” Cartwright said.

The Hoyas had huge success in the men’s 100-yard freestyle with sophomore Bryce Hillman, junior Wes Going and freshmen Brad Crist and David Heckler qualifying for the Big East. Heckler also made the cut for the Big East in the 100 backstroke and the 50 freestyle.

“David Heckler made some notable Big East cuts last weekend,” Cartwright said.

Notable qualifiers on the women’s team include junior Emma Porteus, who made the Big East cut in both the 100 and 200 breaststroke. Freshman Kathryn Berg qualified in the 200 breaststroke and teammate junior Mary McGuire made the cut in the 200 butterfly.

Freshman Trevor Kosmo had a productive day in the pool scoring a top-10 time in the 100 butterfly and qualifying for the Big East in the 100 breaststroke. Sophomores Ray Zomerfeld qualified in the 200 freestyle and Timko Keenan made the cut in the 100 butterfly and 100 breaststroke. Junior Brian Koh made the cut in the 400 individual medley.

The Hoyas won quite a few events throughout the day. Sophomore Megan Harvey triumphed in the 100 butterfly and was part of the victorious 800 freestyle team that also included junior Lindsay Vickroy, sophomore Mallory Kipplinger and freshman Kristen Pratt. Junior Suzanne Waller emerged victorious in the 200 backstroke and freshman Katie Bolander won the 500 freestyle.

On the diving team, senior Michael McWilliams swept both the one- and three- meter dives. Fellow senior Goran Bistric won the 200 backstroke and teamed up with Heckler, Finnegan and sophomore Tom Crecelius to capture the 800 freestyle relay.

“We had some individuals that didn’t qualify for the Big East but that made lifetime-best times,” Cartwright said.

The team achieved its goal last weekend of increasing the number of qualifiers for the Big East and attaining higher seeds. The Hoyas have next weekend off before heading out to Indianapolis for the season-ending Big East championships. The squad is excited for an opportunity to test themselves at the highest level against their conference rivals.

“They just really want to go out and swim their hearts out,” Cartwright said.