Blue Hens Overtake Hoyas

The Delaware Blue Hens took two from the Hoyas this past Tuesday, beating the men 4-3 and the women 6-1.

The men, who were coming off of a big victory over St. John’s last weekend, tested Delaware but were ultimately unable to come away with a victory.

Delaware (10-5, 1-2 CAA) took the early lead by winning at the No. 1 and 2 doubles matches, 8-4, 8-4. Georgetown (5-6, 3-2 Big East) responded by winning the third match, but it was too late as Delaware already had the doubles point. The freshman pairing of Theodore Tywang and Etienne Paris won 8-6.

Georgetown performed better in the singles, winning three of the six, but that still was not enough to give them the overall victory. Senior Erik Bildman lost for the seventh time in his past eight matches at No. 1 singles. He was defeated in straight sets, 7-5, 6-1.

The Hoyas posted victories at the No. 2, 3 and 4 singles matches. Freshman Scott Maucher posted his 11th win of the season with a 6-4, 6-4 score line. Freshman Etienne Paris and sophomore Kevin Killeavy were also successful, winning 6-4, 6-2 and 6-4, 6-4 respectively.

The Hoyas needed to win at least one more singles match to win, but they were unable to overcome the Blue Hens. Georgetown junior Eric Conrad was involved in a close match with Delaware freshman Jonathan Schwartz. Conrad lost the first set 6-2 and took the second to a tiebreaker but fell 8-6 (6) to lose the match.

The women’s team also had a tough time against the Blue Hens (15-5, 4-1 CAA). Georgetown (8-12, 3-5 Big East) lost the doubles point, dropping two of the three matches. Their only victory came in the No. 2 match as junior Kristin Dew and freshman Sana Malouf defeated freshman Brittany Barsky and junior Katie iller 8-4.

The Blue Hens dominated the singles, winning five of the six. Four of Delaware’s victories came in comfortable straight sets. Georgetown freshman Adrianne Gin was the only player to provide any resistance, coming back from a set down to force a third set, but she ended up losing 6-2, 3-6, 6-3.

The loss to Delaware marks the third straight loss for Georgetown.

The men and women play host to Longwood at McDonough Courts tomorrow.