Board Approves New Degrees, Renovations

Georgetown’s Board of Directors approved two new graduate degrees and renovations for St. Mary’s Hall and the Med-Dent Building during a meeting last month.

Approximately 3,000 square feet of space on the third floor of the Med-Dent Building will be renovated to house two new laboratories for the School of Nursing and Health Studies, said Karen Frank, vice president for facilities and student housing.

The laboratories will compose the nursing school’s new Discovery Center and will feature “simulations in which students actually practice nursing skills,” she said.

Administrators hope that renovations will be completed in time for the spring semester.

Frank said the renovations will cost approximately $1.25 million and will be funded by philanthropy. The NHS has stipulated that it will borrow money if funds are not available, though administrators expect that the full cost will ultimately be met by donations and any accrued debt will be paid back.

The Board of Directors also approved renovations to the third and fourth floors of St. Mary’s Hall that will create office space for the mathematics and computer science departments and the Center for Health and Education.

Frank said the cost for the renovations will be between $1.5 and $1.75 million, and that the main campus will fund the renovations for the math and computer science offices.

University Information Services, which currently occupies the space, will relocate to the Harris Building on Wisconsin Ave., and administrators hope renovations will be finished in the summer of 2006.

The board also considered and approved two new graduate degrees, including a Ph.D. in religious pluralism and a master’s degree in democracy.

The Ph.D. program will combine theological and religious studies and focus on understanding commonalities between religious traditions, according to a university press release.

Administrators announced last week that the university will launch a master’s degree in democracy that is designed to prepare students to build the infrastructure for democratic societies.

Both graduate programs will launch in fall 2006.