Bookstore Unveils Redecorated Interior

Charles Nailen/The Hoya The Georgetown Bookstore has reopened its remodeled first floor.

The Georgetown University Bookstore unveiled its new ground floor Tuesday, almost one year after construction began.

“We set out to create a larger, better bookstore for the Georgetown community,” Assistant Director of Georgetown Bookstores Tammy Rogers said.

According to Rogers, the most significant change is the increased space, from approximately 14,500 square feet to 24,000 square feet. Rogers said the larger floor area allows merchandise to be spread out more so than before, making items easier to find. The extra space will also allow the Bookstore to supply a more extensive clothing and gift offering.

The bookstore’s decor includes new carpeting, wood floors, cherry-laminated bookshelves and merchandise racks. The entrance has shifted to directly ahead of the main Leavey Center doors instead of across from Uncommon Grounds. Additionally, a fireplace has been added in the rear of the store.

The larger area has also done away with the checkout line, which wound between boxes of notebooks. The new checkout area features eight cash registers along an L-shaped counter.

While the ground floor has opened, the second floor is still undergoing some finishing touches. The escalators leading up to and down from the second floor remain taped off.

Once finished, this new area will include a much larger textbook section, an area for school supplies and a number of couches and chairs for student use. Also, work is being completed on a room to be used for events such as signings, poetry readings and other student group activities. The room features open space and a cathedral ceiling. Bookstore officials said they are confident the second floor will be open in 10 to14 days.

There will be a formal grand opening of the bookstore May 25. According to Rogers, University President Leo J. O’Donovan, S.J., will attend the ribbon cutting.

A reception is planned to follow the ceremony.

Rogers said in the fall there will be a back-to-school grand opening for Georgetown students, complete with discounts on merchandise.

Other new bookstore innovations include a media wall of TVs, CD listening stations in the music department and Internet stations.

Despite weather setbacks in December, the project will be entirely complete before the end of O’Donovan’s tenure in late June. According to Jim Kuhlman, director of the Main Campus, Medical Center and Law Center bookstores, O’Donovan spearheaded the effort to renovate the bookstore, which he believed was inadequate for a university of Georgetown’s size.

Kuhlman said the main campus bookstore project has been so extensive because it included the construction of a new second floor.

In addition to adding student space to Georgetown’s student center, the new bookstore will also require increased employment to man the second floor, increasing job opportunities on campus, Kuhlman said.

Staff writer Ruthie Braunstein contributed to this report.