Breaking a Leg, Finally

Since its opening in November 2005, the Davis Performing Arts Center has been an exciting addition to Georgetown, both aesthetically and academically. It has helped revamp the center of campus, giving Georgetown its second largest performing space in the beautiful Gonda Theater. The Davis Center has given new life to Georgetown’s theater program as well, giving students better opportunities for theater performance and supporting the growth of the department of art, music and theater – leading to the university’s decision to offer a theater and performance studies major to students in the College. Finally, students can study theater as a liberal art and a creative form.

Despite all of these achievements, the circumstances surrounding the opening of the Davis Center seemed to fly in the face of artistic advancement. An inexcusable rule allowing only performances produced by or in collaboration with a faculty member to take place in the new facility threatened to prevent some of Georgetown’s most active and well-known student groups from benefiting from a new performance space.

But this week, the theater program announced that it will open its doors to independent student theater groups. Mask & Bauble, Nomadic Theater, Black Theater Ensemble and other groups will be allowed to make use of many of the Davis Center’s resources, which were so proudly announced by the university nearly one and a half years ago. One group will be allowed to produce a main stage production each year. Nomadic Theatre will play host to the inauguration of its eight-day production of “Translations” at the Davis Center on Saturday, April 21.

Allowing independent student groups to use the university’s resoruces helps to develop the arts on the hilltop. Georgetown should continue to expand the availability of the Davis Center’s resources to all members of the performing arts community.