Campus Briefs

Northeastern Student Stabbed Leaving Off-Campus Party

BOSTON – A Northeastern freshman was stabbed shortly after midnight Sunday morning after leaving a party in Roxbury. He was released from Brigham and Women’s Hospital Monday and is currently with his parents.

According to a Boston Police report, the 17-year-old, who is currently enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences, was walking down Wait Street with a group of friends after leaving a party at 166 Hillside Street. The group encountered six males who were leaving the same party. The two groups began arguing and a verbal confrontation ensued.

The report states that during the melee, one of the suspects brandished a knife and said, “I’ve used this knife before. Who do you think you’re messing with?”

The victim’s friends managed to get the males off him by claiming to be calling the police on a cell phone. Soon after they left, the victim’s friends discovered that he had been stabbed in the lower back/side region.

Both the Boston Police and Northeastern Public Safety are investigating the assault. The departments denied comment, but reported that they were also investigating the party, where it is believed the suspects had attended.

The suspect was described by the witnesses as a white male, 18 to 20 years old with an olive complexion. He is between 5-foot-5-inches and 5-foot-7-inches and between 150 and 170 pounds.

Wisconsin Students Rally For Diversity

MADISON, Wisc. – Approximately 300 people gathered in front of Bascom Hall Tuesday to protest the lack of diversity at University of Wisconsin-Madison, and to express their dissatisfaction regarding the admissions booklet that was the subject of national attention.

At the center of attention was Diallo Shabazz, the student whose photo was inserted onto the cover of an admissions booklet mailed out earlier this year. The UW Admissions Office placed an image of Shabazz, an African-American senior, into a photo that had originally shown only white students. When the discovery of the doctored photo was made in September, the booklet was reprinted, but Shabazz and many other students said that was not enough.

Among some of the solutions speakers highlighted was more recruitment of minorities and policy changes to ensure that similar incidents would not happen again.

Matt Alpert, a friend of Shabazz, spoke to the group about his experiences with diversity at Madison. Alpert compared the photo-doctoring incident to the oil spill of the Exxon Valdez; university officials had not taken measures to prevent the problem, they only covered it up. Alpert challenged students, regardless of their race, to take a stand on the issue. Shabazz also told the gathering about how the incident affected his life and how he felt it affected everyone else.

He began by reading headlines regarding the incident from various newspapers around the country, stating these headlines were an embarrassment to him and to the university. He said although the university had apologized to him, their apology would be better received if it were backed up with action.

John Wiley, vice chancellor of Academic Affairs, also spoke to the crowd. He apologized to Shabazz and offered to help him deal with the ramifications of what he called “a terrible mistake.” Wiley said the administration will put over $14 million over the next four years into programs such as the PEOPLE Program, which provides on-campus learning opportunities for minority and disadvantaged high school students and gives them a chance.

Tattoo Ruling Ends Unconstitutional Ban

BOSTON – A ruling Tuesday by a superior Court Judge lifted the ban on tattooing in Massachusetts, and they declared the law to be unconstitutional.

Massachusetts was one of only three states where tattooing was still illegal and the only one in New England.

Sophomore Shane Morgan is among students who believe the government should not mandate physical alterations such as tattooing, which should be their own personal choices.

In addition, the Massachusetts law did not deter many from getting tattoos, students pointed out. Often going across state lines for tattoos, students said the new decision will only make tattooing convenient.

According to the former law, tattooing was punishable by a year in prison and a $300 fine.

Superior Court Judge Barbara Rouse added in her ruling yesterday that aside from Constitution impropriety, state-licensed tattoo artists would benefit a black market industry.

Wyclef’s Cancellation Upsets UI Students

IOWA CITY, Iowa – Instead of hearing former Fugee Wyclef Jean perform tonight, University of Iowa sophomore Amanda Guthrie will return her ticket to Vibes Music, for a full refund.

The Student Commission on Programming and Entertainment (SCOPE) called off the concert, which would have also included De La Soul and the Black-Eyed Peas, Monday because of an unexpected shortage of stagehands.

UI senior Adam McGinnis said he worries that music groups will be more reluctant to make plans to play after hearing of the cancellation.

In conjunction with the concert, MTV had planned to set up an interactive village in Hubbard Park, giving UI students the chance to apply for such programs as “Road Rules” and “The Real World.”

While MTV told SCOPE that it was disappointed, not angry, about the cancellation, some students feel that a great opportunity was lost in the process.

SCOPE canceled the concert because it did not receive the eight to 10 stagehands it had expect from the International Alliance for Theatrical Stage Employees Local 690.

After SCOPE members attempted, and failed, to recruit stagehands from around Iowa, Illinois and Minnesota Monday morning, it canceled the event.

Not having enough workers is not a legitimate excuse coming from SCOPE, which did such a good job promoting the event, a student said.

Duke U. Considers Notifying Parents

DURHAM, N.C. – After a change in federal law and a heightened awareness of alcohol abuse, Duke University may decide to start notifying parents if their underage children are caught drinking.

A subcommittee of the Alcohol Task Force will examine this issue and the university’s alcohol policy in the coming months.

Just last year, Congress passed changes to the Family Educational Right to Privacy Act of 1974-a bill that limited the information a university could release without student consent. This summer, though, a policy went into effect that permits colleges to notify parents when students under 21 violate drug and alcohol laws.

Currently, the alcohol policy calls for parental notification when a first-year student violates the rules for the second time. Even then, however, student development officials sometimes make exceptions.

Although the letter of the new law does not mandate parental notification, some students and administrators have suggested that universities may be legally bound to do so.

This approach was used at the University of Delaware as a successful example of parental notification. Parents are notified of every violation, barring mitigating circumstances.

UD also has a three-strikes-and-you’re-out policy that in the most extreme cases suspends students for a year. Smith said that last year, the university suspended about 50 students.

Clack said Duke is not considering such a policy at this time. And both administrators and students worry that even parental notification marks a return to in loco parentis, a theory advocating university action as a parent which was debunked in the 1960’s.

At Emory University, administrators feel students should be treated as adults and don’t notify parents of any violations, unless the student presents a danger to herself or others.