Celebrate Quality Day Care

In spite of crimes, football defeats and red square protests that have enveloped our campus in recent days, Georgetown students still have some cause for celebration.

The Hoya Kids Learning Center ” a nationally accredited daycare center that supports Georgetown administrators, students, faculty and staff, as well as their families ” will celebrate its 10-year anniversary on Oct. 8.

Many of you have likely never heard of Hoya Kids Learning Center, and that’s a shame. It’s an extremely beneficial program for those administrators who are too busy with their work at Georgetown to be with their kids every weekday. The program allows these administrators to work long hours knowing that their children are being watched by certified teachers very close to the Georgetown campus. In addition, each set of parents is provided an evaluation of their child’s behavior at the end of each day, as well as semi-annual student-teacher conferences, so that the parents can feel that they are still staying informed about their children’s doings.

This kind of attention to the children, and the strong ties between the educators and the parents shows that this is more than just a way to get the children out of the way, as the case may be in corporate day-care enterprises. Instead, the good folks running the Hoya Kids are genuinely concerned in the little bundles of joy vested to them.

The children’s daily schedule at the center runs from 7:30 in the morning to 6 in the evening, including the typical activities one would expect from a daycare center. The day care is open year-round for those administrators who work over the summer. Since its inception, the center has grown to accommodate 16 toddlers, 24 two-year-olds and 18 pre-schoolers, making for almost 60 children in total.

The facilities are also far from meager. The building is located in Poulton Hall, on the corner of 37th and P and is well-equipped to accommodate all of the children in terms of toys and didactic materials.

The program is available for a monthly fee, based on a graduated scale corresponding with family income.

With its 10-year anniversary approaching, we should take a minute and applaud this service that Georgetown has provided for its employees. Even though there are many faults to be found with the way the university deals with some aspects of its function, this is an exceptional case, and we are proud that our alma mater can be this thoughtful, caring, and accommodating to the faculty and staff, as well as their families.

Happy anniversary, Hoya Kids!