Cheer For Hoya Pigskin

Tomorrow at Georgetown football’s home opener versus Lafayette, former Hoyas’ Head Coach Scotty Glacken, who passed away last winter, will be honored for his 23-year-tenure on the Hilltop. The best way for students to honor the man who led Georgetown back into NCAA competition on the gridiron is with their presence and encouragement at the game.

Georgetown’s varsity team had been disbanded following the 1950 season due to budgetary constraints and declining attendance, and it was Glacken who guided the program from its return to NCAA competition in 1970 until 1993, collecting 98 victories. Current Head Coach, Kevin Kelly, in his second year, is seeking to turn the football program into a perennial Patriot League title contender – a lofty goal that he will be able to accomplish only with the backing of a supportive student body.

The “temporary” stands at the Multi-Sport Facility look no more inviting in their third season, nor does the squad seem significantly more likely to put together its first winning season of the new millennium. In fact, one of the Hoyas’ two lonely wins last year came against Stony Brook, which defeated Georgetown 35-28 in the season opener on Saturday.

There are, however, signs that the program is moving in the right direction under Kelly, who has coaching experience at more prominent and successful football programs, including Marshall and Navy.

While the Hoyas only won two games in Kelly’s first season, they did become more competitive, scoring more points than they had in 2005, while giving up fewer. The team also played a more exciting, higher-scoring brand of football last season, upping its offensive touchdown output from a measly 13 in 2005 to 22. This season will also be Kelly’s first coaching Georgetown players that he has recruited to play for him.

Former Georgetown defensive standout, Alex Buzbee (COL ’07), even made it to the final cut of the Washington Redskins’ training camp this week, an encouraging sign for a program that has not seen one of its former players join an NFL team since 1951.

The university may not be able to build a stadium on time, and the team might not show immediate improvements in the win-loss column, but students can at least do their own part tomorrow and on four other Saturdays this fall to ensure that almost 100 of our classmates have the support that they merit and will need to improve.

And even more importantly, that the once-proud tradition of Hoya football – which Glacken helped resurrect years ago – will be honored.