Class Warfare’ Not in Our House

TO THE EDITOR: After writing an endless string of editorials admonishing laptop thefts, the editorial board used the editorial “`Laptop’ Cheer Lacks Class” (THE HOYA, Jan. 15, 2008, A2) to chide Hoya fans, who taunted UConn guard A.J. Price with chants of “Where’s my laptop?” at the Verizon Center on Saturday. This is completely hypocritical because these fans instantly became the most visible force against laptop theft that this campus has ever seen. The editorial also reeks of elitism. Why weren’t we allowed to heckle an arrested thief? Because, gasp, it wasn’t “classy.” Yes, players and fans should exhibit sportsmanship, but should we boycott delicious pre-game double cheeseburgers from McDonald’s because that’s not classy? Instead of rushing the court after our upset victory over Duke, two seasons ago, should we have calmly applauded the valiant effort of the opposing team? Why show up in gray “We Are Georgetown” shirts (2004-2005 edition, please) and jeans? That’s not classy either. How about gray tuxedos with blue pocket squares? We bet the editorial board would look nice with their monocles and top hats. In addition to simply enjoying a game, it is the role of fans to create a home field advantage for their team. We do not mean to imply that Hoya fans should allow the Verizon Center to deteriorate into a vulgar and offensive bedlam, but there is an acceptable limit to fan conduct that Georgetown students know and understand. The cheer was not vulgar or obscene, and it was based completely on fact. A.J. Price stole valuable property from fellow students, and it is not wrong to remind him of it on the basketball court. This editorial borders on the absurdity displayed by schools that restrict competitive sports because less athletic students “get their feelings hurt.” This “UConnvict” got what he deserved. Kenny Martin (MSB `07) Eric Rodawig (COL `07) Former viewpoint editor, THE HOYA Jan. 17, 2008