Clinton in Gaston Today

Last-Minute Announcement Causes Ticket Crunch

By Tim Sullivan Hoya Staff Writer

President William Jefferson Clinton (SFS ’68) will make a surprise visit to Georgetown University this morning to make a speech on national security in front of an audience largely composed of students.

The speech is scheduled for 11 a.m. in Gaston Hall, with doors opening at 9:30 a.m. and closing at 10:30 a.m. At press time, the specific details of the president’s speech were unknown.

As news of the visit spread around campus, students flocked to the Leavey Center, where 480 tickets were distributed at a table on a first-come, first-serve basis. The line for tickets snaked through the Leavey Center as far as the door to the Center Grille. Ticket distributors kept a four-page wait list of students after the 480 tickets were distributed.

Students were excited by the news of Clinton’s visit. “I rushed over as soon as I heard about it,” Kerry Monaghan (COL ’03) said.

“Only at Georgetown can a student walk into the student center to pick up tickets to see the leader of the free world the next day,” Erica Nonni (COL ’03) said.

The speech marks Clinton’s third visit to Georgetown in the last two years. In November, Clinton gave a major foreign policy speech in Gaston on European relations. In September, 1999, Clinton spoke, along with former Polish President Lech Walesa, at a memorial service for labor leader and Georgetown alumna Lane Kirkland.

Clinton comes to Georgetown following a lengthy tour that included stops in Africa and South America.

University President Leo J. O’Donovan, S.J., who has accompanied Clinton on several overseas trips and is a personal friend of the president, will introduce Clinton.