College Minor Adds Diversity

Georgetown has taken another important step toward expanding its academic offerings by launching a new minor in Jewish civilization for students in the College. A Jewish studies minor will certainly add to the diversity of the academic programs already available.

The minor’s interdisciplinary approach to Judaism with courses in religion and history – while also focusing on broader accomplishments of Jewish civilization through studies in the humanities – will help to broaden the curriculum of the College. Students in the School of Foreign Service can already get a certificate in Jewish civilization, so why shouldn’t people in the College? The new minor will also help to expand the outreach of the Program for Jewish Civilization, the SFS teaching center that administers the program.

Georgetown prides itself on its Catholic identity, but because it is open to students of all faiths and promotes various forms of campus ministry, this decision shows its inter-religious support also by offering new academic programs. It is important to offer programs such as these to accommodate a variety of interests.

We applaud the efforts of the College and the SFS to continue their efforts in extending minor programs to students who take a passionate interest in subjects that foster an understanding of diversity. Combined with the African American Studies minor and such minors as Justice and Peace Studies and Women’s and Gender Studies, in addition to the various certificate programs offered by the College, the minor in Jewish civilization allows the College to widen the scope of subjects available to students.

And Georgetown should not stop there. The College can continue by opening other minor concentrations that are only available for SFS students to anyone who has an interest in a particular area of study. The minor in Jewish civilization is an important step toward making that possible.