Columnist Stuck in the Past

Friday, September 24, 2004 Columnist Stuck in the Past

To the Editor:

As we sat reading Emily Harter’s article (“Dispelling Myths of the Georgetown Date,” The Hoya, Sept. 21, 2004, A3) aloud, we could not help but feel appalled at the blatant use of the outdated gender stereotypes that were presented.

Apparently we didn’t get the message that we were living in the 1950s, where girls still desired to be princesses. Therefore, we have come up with our own list of myths.

Myth #1: Journalists tend to use factual information when presenting their arguments.

Apparently the author is working under the assumption that men are born without the ability to have emotions and women are born without a sex drive.

Obviously, someone forgot to do their homework in biology class. There is no factual basis to stereotype women and men in this way, especially in the present time.

Myth #2: Journalists tend to stick with one argument and not contradict themselves throughout the article.

The author claims in Myth 1 that men are savages and only want a physical relationship, but then in Myth 2 she completely contradicts herself and says that most men would be thrilled “if they could spend some quality time with a girl they were really interested in.”

These two points of view are mutually exclusive, so we ended up being quite confused about what the true myths of dating are.

Oh well, it seems like one of us will have to wait in our ivory tower for our Prince Charming, while the other two run around chasing any girl that walks by.

Lauren Christopher (COL ’05)

Vin McGill (COL ’06)

Igor Khayet (SFS ’07)

Sept. 21, 2004