Counting Down Georgetown Basketball Buzz

Somehow, last year’s men’s basketball season managed to be both a resounding success and a disheartening disappointment. A season meant for rebuilding quickly turned into one of rejuvenation and, faster than Wisey’s can make a Chicken adness, Georgetown basketball was relevant again. But although finishing just short of the NCAA tournament should have been considered a tremendous accomplishment, most people were disappointed that the team could not take that significant final step.

With the unsatisfying conclusion to last year’s season behind them, this year’s team is back for more. There are truly a litany of reasons why we Hoyas should be eager to get the season underway, but just in case you’re still a little unsure if you can justify the weeknight trip to MCI Center, allow me to present my top-10 reasons to be excited for 2005-06 Georgetown basketball.

10. Watching J.T. III sweat

Relax, Hoya faithful, because John Thompson III’s job security is certainly not in question. The truth is, watching him sweat bullets on the sideline cannot help but conjure up the image of his father doing exactly the same thing during his tenure at Georgetown.

With the next chapter of the family legacy at Georgetown being written, we students should once again be thankful that the university has provided us with a coach whom we can be proud of. Not only was the job he did last season nothing short of remarkable, but he has rapidly become the national face of the program.

9. The return of Dikembe Mutombo references

With all due respect to Patrick Ewing and Allen Iverson, Dikembe utombo is the player I would most want to bring back to the Hilltop today. It’s incredible to think that a student who came here to be pre-med wound up becoming a basketball legend and campus icon that scored 947 points and recorded 346 blocks in just three years. In addition to having a long, successful NBA career and becoming a world-recognized humanitarian, Mutombo’s celebrity status is still adored on campus today.

8. The Hoya Blue shirt swap

I’ve often fantasized about dressing as a referee, standing in Red Square and blowing my whistle to call a foul on anyone I saw wearing clothing representing another college. In case you didn’t get the memo, this type of behavior is neither cool nor trendy, and it is most certainly not needed here at Georgetown. You don’t go to B.C., Harvard, or U.Va. – you’re a Hoya. Start acting like one and stop advertising other schools on our home turf.

7. New uniforms

Out with the black and teal and in with the blue and gray – definitely a step in the right direction. Boy, what I would give to see Mount Mutombo head to toe in these new unis.

6. Duke at MCI Center

No college basketball team is capable of producing a more visceral negative reaction from me than the hated Blue Devils. There is something about the whiny, querulous basketball teams that Duke seems to put out each season that just begs to be taught a lesson by J.T. III and our Hoyas. Class will be in session on Jan. 21, 2006, and I encourage you all to make it a top priority to get there.

5. The emergence of Roy Hibbert

We here on the Hilltop have always known that Roy’s basketball potential is overshadowed only by his dancing ability, but our favorite 7-foot-2 sophomore can’t hide from the national scene forever. Roy’s hard work this summer should pay off with big results on the court. This is the year that Roy goes from becoming our campus icon to a national one.

4. The Big East tournament

Supporting the Hoyas on the road is one thing, but supporting them during some of their biggest games in the world’s greatest city is quite another. This year, spend part of your spring break in the Big Apple helping the Hoyas clinch a well-deserved NCAA tournament appearance. If Notre Dame can fill adison Square Garden with green and gold, we ought to at least be able to do the same with our blue and gray.

3. Singing the fight song

OK, I’ll admit it: I was an Orientation Advisor, and now I miss singing the fight song 250 times a day. I’ll sleep easily during the basketball season, however, because I know that after each home victory we’ll have the chance to unite as a student body and show our school pride as our meager opponent is forced to slump toward its locker room in shame.

2. Jack attack

You can’t tell me that you don’t look forward to the part of each game where Jack the Bulldog tears apart a box with the opposing team’s logo on it. Seriously, what other school is lucky enough to possess a mascot with this phenomenal ability? Seeing Jack work his magic and enliven the arena is without a doubt worth the price of admission on its own.

1. Georgetown basketball is back

This is the first season in quite some time where the Hoyas are anticipated to meet a full slate of expectations – and the amazing part is that almost everyone believes that they are entirely up to the task. It seems we students have waited longer for the return of our team than for a Saturday night table at The Tombs, but this season J.T. III and his Hoyas are giving us something to cheer for.

And if that’s not enough to get you excited about the upcoming season, I’ll see what I can do about bringing back utombo.

Chris Seneca is a sophomore in the School of Foreign Service. He can be reached at senecathehoya.com. SLOW MOTION appears every other Tuesday in HOYA SPORTS.