Daly Begins New Era for MSB

For the past three years, the McDonough School of Business has been without a permanent dean, but Georgetown finally hired George Daly to fill the long-vacated post this past June. Daly appears to be worth the long wait.

Daly, who comes from the Leonard N. Stern School of Business at New York University, brings a long history of teaching experience and leadership to the table. During nine years as dean at NYU, Daly earned a reputation for effective fundraising, a skill that he will have to put to frequent use here at Georgetown.

One of Daly’s primary concerns as a new dean will be raising funds for the construction of the new business school building. The addition of a center exclusively for the MSB, its faculty and, most importantly, the students, is critical to improving Georgetown’s current business program relative to other university programs. The faculty and administration recognize the importance of this project and Daly will serve as the most fitting leader to take the school to its next level in competitiveness.

Many Georgetown students feel that there is room for improvement in the MSB. The undergraduate business school program is currently ranked 26th, according to U.S. News and World Report (the Stern School is currently ranked fourth). One of Daly’s goals as dean of the MSB should be to bring the school up to Stern’s level. Maybe in a few years Georgetown too can have one of the top 20 undergraduate business schools in the nation.

Daly has said that he has the goal of running the business school as efficiently as possible, noting that a school must be run like a business. And filling a position that has had only temporary faculty occupying the spot for the last three years means that strong leadership is necessary for efficiency.

Daly, however, seems more than up to the task. As a permanent head of the program, without the extra commitments faculty deans had to work around, Daly is poised to provide the much-needed sense of continuity that the MSB was previously lacking. The administration is to be commended for filling this important position, and for filling it with an experienced, renowned and respected leader.