DeGioia Response Upholds GU Values

TO THE EDITOR:

The Georgetown community ought to congratulate University President John J. DeGioia for his decisive response via e-mail on Oct. 9 to reject discrimination on our campus. In doing so, he has condemned malice and violence toward LGBTQ persons and upheld the respect prescribed by our Catholic Jesuit tradition. DeGioia has exhibited both wisdom and courage in this regard by drafting a nuanced stance in his e-mail that urges universal respect for all people without endorsing homosexual practices that are contrary to Church teaching. Hopefully, his positive leadership will continue to motivate us to advance our Catholic mission to respect the inherent dignity of each human person – not by acquiescing in error to activities that are antithetical to that mission – but by developing a welcoming community founded on love and respect. We look forward to such discerning leadership and an expounding of the policy at tomorrow’s open meeting.

As we learn from the trying experiences of the past few weeks, we can begin to more fully appreciate the basis for Georgetown’s Catholic position on these matters. The relevant sections of documents like Pope Benedict XVI’s encyclical “Deus Caritas Est,” the Catechism of the Catholic Church and the “Letter [.] on the Pastoral Care of Homosexual Persons” reveal a rich tradition that is sympathetic and illuminating. Georgetown University must continue to advance this tradition by serving as a model of respect for the dignity of all human persons.

Timothy Walton (SFS ’10)

Oct. 22, 2007