Devine Keeps Goals High

Name: Joe Devine

Sport: Men’s soccer

Position: Goal keeper

Hometown: Exton, Penn.

High School: The Haverford School

School/Year: MSB ’08

Major: Finance

Major: Operations Information Management

High School Highlights: 2003: MVP at Haverford School, all-Inter-AC First Team. 2004: MVP at Haverford School, all-Inter-AC First Team, second in Inter-Academic League MVP.

Georgetown Highlights: 2004: Finished year with 1.71 GAA. 2005: Earned first career shutout with three saved in a 3-0 over anhattan; named Academic all-Star.

When did you first start playing soccer?

When I was three years old. My dad got me involved. He is from Ireland, so he was all about it. I remember playing a lot. I did camp a lot. I did not start playing with a team until was eight or nine. I played in the backyard with my friends a lot. I was pretty much always a goalkeeper. I used to play the field too and tried to balance it out, but I was always a goalkeeper to some extent.

When did you know that you wanted to play soccer competitively in college?

I knew going into high school that was going to be my goal. I was playing on the team, trying to make the most out of the experience and using that to help me get into college. I tried to use it to my advantage as much as I could. I chose Georgetown because of the balance between the athletics and academics. I know that’s the common response, but the balance here is great.

Who is your biggest rival?

For three years, my rival has been (former goal keeper) [senior] Andrew Keszler, but I learned a lot from him too. We were rivals on the field but good friends off the field as well. In terms of Georgetown’s biggest rival, I have to say this year Notre Dame considering our coach was the coach at Notre Dame last year. The game was pretty important, but we didn’t do too well. We have a big rivalry with a lot of Big East schools, like Villanova.

What was the best moment in your career so far?

I would have to say the win versus Villanova. I had a pretty big save in that one. I kept the shutout and we won the game.

What is a typical soccer practice like?

It’s different for me because I am a goalkeeper. We usually go off and do our own thing. Really, there is a lot of pressure and responsibility to do better because we are not always with the coach. For a majority of the practice we are with ourselves, then we’ll practice with the team.

Who on the team do you rely on the most?

Definitely the players in the back line defense. They are the people right in front of me, so I have to direct them ad keep them organized. I place a lot of responsibility on them.

What do you have in your soccer bag?

It’s a boring answer, but I do not have much of anything except what I need to play. I do try to keep a religious medal on me as much as I can. Other than that nothing too crazy or weird.

If you could be great at any other sport or event besides soccer, what would it be?

I was a big basketball player growing up. I loved it. I was better at soccer and I knew it would help in college.

Your most embarrassing moment?

In our game against Notre Dame, the ball was rolling back to me, and I went to clear it, and I hit right into my defender’s stomach. It went over my head and right into the net. That was pretty embarrassing.

Who in your life inspires you the most?

My parents. Everything they do for me, all the sacrifices they made. It motivates me to do well everyday. It’s not just one time, it almost every day of high school, my Dad commuted over an hour to pick me up. The fact that he would go to that extent to let me play soccer, it means a lot to me.

What do you consider to be your biggest fear on the field?

My biggest fear on the field is letting up a goal after my team has played well. One goal can make a big difference. At the same time, I try not to think about it that way when I am on the field. I try to keep a positive attitude to everything I do; I think if I am pessimistic, often times bad things happen.

Why do you think professional soccer does not get very much exposure in the United States?

I think professional sports in the U.S. are saturated at the moment. There is a lot of emphasis on football, basketball and baseball; there is not a lot of room for other sports to take them away from the limelight. Those other sports are all native to the U.S. It is part of their identity.

What one word people use to describe you?

Disciplined. Just because I always try to set an example in everything I do.

Favorite Georgetown restaurant?

The Tombs. I like the Tombs because it is close; I go there a lot with my parents and with visitors from out of town. I have a lot of fond memories. I see a lot of people I know there.

Favorite professional soccer player?

Roy Keane. He was a player from Ireland, and played for anchester United. He was a real engine on the field. He is who I try to model my game after. He was also disciplined and had a passion for the game; you can see it every time he plays. He was big influence on me, being from Ireland. I saw him play a lot. He is my favorite sports player.

What is your dream job?

Working in Wall Street. I think a lot of the things that draw me to sports are there too: competition, the pressure, and the rewards for succeeding. The characteristics of the job appeal to me.

Favorite TV show?

24. Jack Bauer.

Favorite movie?

Donnie Darko.

Freshman dorm?

New South. My favorite memory of New South was meeting my roommate Max Blume (MSB ’08). I opened up the door and there he was, full of energy. I have known him pretty well since then.

If you could be anywhere in the world, where would it be?

Ireland. I have not been there in four years. It is just great to go back and see family, see where my ancestors came from. Really when I go, it is just to see family. I love seeing my uncles, aunts. Seeing the country-side, it is so different from here. It is green pastures everywhere you go. It is a good change and relaxing.

The one thing you miss about home?

My cat, Duke. He is just great to play with. He is a rambunctious little guy. I miss him jumping all over me.

Any advice for anyone who wants to join soccer?

We’re looking for people who have passion for soccer. It can’t just be a hobby. You have to be 100 percent committed. You have to go out everyday and play. It is not always easy, but that is what we are looking for.

How long do you see yourself playing soccer for?

I mean to some extent I will play for as long as I can run. I don’t know how competitively after college, but I don’t see myself stopping any time soon. I just love playing the game.

Booey’s or Wisey’s?

Definitely Wisey’s. I like the grilled chicken wrap.

– Interview and photo by Pasha C. Chandra.