Eagles Fly Away With Three Wins Over Hoyas

By Mike Hume Hoya Staff Writer

Despite the seemingly endless blue skies that graced the D.C. area this weekend, the Georgetown Baseball team continued to find themselves under their personal rain cloud, dropping three games to Big East foe Boston College.

Georgetown was outhit, out-pitched and out-fielded by the Eagles, losing 11-2, 21-5 and 16-3 this weekend for a combined total score of 48-10.

Consistency was the key to victory for the Eagles. Boston College seemed capable of putting up runs at will, pounding the Hoyas’ pitching staff into submission with 12 home runs over the three-game span. With the lone exception of a five-run first inning in the second game, Georgetown struggled to push runs across the plate, stranding a total of 26 runners during the series.

In game one, Georgetown led off the bottom of the first with three consecutive singles loading the bases with no one out, but failed to score anyone. It was an ominous harbinger of things to come for Georgetown.

Sophomore Eric Sutton started the game on the mound for the Hoyas and kept Georgetown close for five innings, giving up only four runs. However, the Eagles rallied in the top of the sixth inning, tagging Sutton for three more runs to extend their lead to 7-1. Georgetown added one more run in the bottom of the inning on a one-run single by junior left fielder Marc Carlini to score freshman Jason Boice, but the Eagles posted four more runs in the top of the seventh off of reliever sophomore Paul Perillo to put the game out of reach. Carlini led the Hoyas at the plate going 2-4 with an RBI, while junior Brian Cassese and sophomore Mike Green posted two hits apiece.

Game two got off to a promising start for the Hoyas, as they jumped out to a 5-0 lead in the first inning. Carlini continued to swing a hot bat, sending a ball into the right-center-field gap for a lead-off double. After a walk to Cassese, a sacrifice bunt by senior Josh Corman and a walk to clean-up hitter junior Jim Vankoski, junior Eric Santana cleared the bases with a three-run double to right. Boice scored Santana with a double of his own in the following at bat. Junior catcher Pat Wade fought off a pitch, popping one over the first baseman’s head and landing it just inside the foul line to score Boice.

Unfortunately for the Hoyas, those five runs would be their only ones of the game. Boston College chipped into the Georgetown lead in the second inning on a two-run home run by Neal McCarthy. Vankoski managed to hold Boston College down for one more inning before giving up five runs in the fourth, including three on another Eagles homer.

Boston College never looked back, allowing the Hoyas only four more hits for the remainder of the game, while pouring it on for 12 runs over the final three innings of play, including a grand slam in the top of the ninth.

The third game in the series was decided early on in the contest. Starting junior pitcher Randy Erwin received no support from his defense as a costly error by shortstop Corman turned what should have been two-run inning into a seven-run landslide for the Eagles.

Boston College’s pitching subdued the Hoyas’ bats with little difficulty in game three. Boston College starter Stephen Langone went six strong innings allowing no runs and limiting the Hoyas to two hits, bringing a no-hitter into the fourth. Langone also struck out six en route to his seventh victory of the season.

As if things could not get any worse for Georgetown, reliever sophomore P.J. Martinez left the game in the eighth inning after getting hit in the elbow by a sharp comebacker.

At the end of the weekend, Boston College improved to 31-14, 11-9 in the Big East, while Georgetown slipped to 13-38 overall, 1-21 in conference play. The Hoyas will take on Delaware State on Tuesday and George Mason on Thursday before closing out their season with a three-game series against the Connecticut Huskies at home this weekend.