Ethics Scholar Wins GU Professorship

Jean Bethke Elshtain, a prominent national scholar, will lecture at Georgetown beginning in fall 2006 after winning a prestigious Georgetown professorship, university officials announced last week.

Elshtain, a professor of social and political ethics at the University of Chicago Divinity School, was named the Thomas and Dorothy Leavey Chair in the Foundations of American Freedom and will lecture in the Department of Government on democracy and the principles of free institutions.

Elshtain brings a formidable academic reputation to the Georgetown campus. She has published a variety of books and articles in journals of civic opinion and has lectured extensively around the world. Her 2003 book, Just War Against Terror: The Burden of American Power in a Violent World, was named a top non-fiction book by Publishers Weekly.

In a university press release, Elshtain said she was pleased to come to Georgetown and looked forward to “the opportunity to deepen my engagements with this university, its faculty and its students.”

“Georgetown is a vibrant institution and I hope to make a contribution to its intellectual liveliness,” she said.

Many Georgetown faculty members and administrators said that Elshtain’s appointment was a positive step for the university to take.

“She is a fine scholar and a very wise lady,” the Rev. James Schall, S.J., said. “I for one am delighted that she is to be with us.”

Prior to her 2006 appointment, Elshtain will present a lecture Wednesday on Jesuit theologian Rev. John Courtney Murray, S.J. in Healy Hall.