Fall Block Party OK’d

By Molly Longstreth Hoya Staff Writer

With a 4-3 vote Tuesday, the 2E Advisory Neighborhood Commission approved this fall’s Semi-Annual Georgetown Charity Block Party. The event is scheduled for Friday, Oct. 6, from 12 to 7 p.m. on 37th Street between N and Prospect Streets.

Liam Betterman (SFS ’01), Matt Cosgrave (MSB ’01) and Dan Kelley (MSB ’01), the current co-presidents of 1227 Gatsby Foundation LLC, the independent organization which has been planning the Block Party since 1998, presented the ANC with this fall’s plans and restrictions, which are slightly tighter than last year.

Under the new restrictions, people 21 and over who have legitimate, government-issued identification can pay $10 to receive a bracelet and two tickets for 12-ounce beers. Additional tickets for beer can be purchased for $1, and soda will be served free. Discounted food, such as Domino’s Pizza, will also be available, according to Kelley.

Those under 21 will be able to enter if they pay the $10 admission fee, but they will not receive a bracelet.

According to Cosgrave and Kelley, six Metropolitan Police Department officers will be on site, as well as two officers from the Alcohol and Beverage Commission, to make sure that identification is being checked thoroughly. Doormen from The Tombs have volunteered to check participants’ identification, and Kelley said that they will have government-issued license books to check against fake identification.

Taking further safety measures, Cosgrave said that those serving the beer will all be “TIPS certified.” Training for Intervention Procedures is a three-hour program designed to teach waiters, waitresses and bartenders to know when someone is too intoxicated to be served.

Last spring’s Block Party saw five student arrests for carrying open containers outside the boundaries of the event.

“Right now we are coming off one of the most successful Block Parties,” Cosgrave said, citing that the 2,300 attendees raised more than $14,000 for several different charities, including Habitat for Humanity, It’s For the Kids and Sursum Corda. This fall’s list of charities will be determined after the event. Last fall, the Block Party grossed a record-setting $18,000.

This fall’s close ANC vote mimics that of last spring, when the university refused to write its traditional letter of support for the Block Party following the death of junior David Shick in February, as well as other events perceived to be fueled by alcohol.

The Block Party hit another hurdle when the ABC temporarily refused to grant a one-day alcohol license until the organizers agreed to charge a $10 admission fee and reduce the amount of beer that came with admission from 48 to 24 ounces.

Vice President for Student Affairs Juan C. Gonzalez voiced concern that the event catered exclusively to students.

“If [Block Party] is about creating community, then we ought to make it a community event,” Gonzalez said.

Gonzalez said that a meeting with organizers of Block Party was not possible until the day of the decision, at which time he was not prepared to sign an endorsement, saying that he felt he needed to know more about the event before endorsing Block Party.

Related Links

Block Partiers Arrested (5/2)

Block Party Approved at Last Minute (4/28)

Block Party License Denied (4/18)

ANC Approves Block Party (3/15) University Withdraws Support for Block Party (2/29)