‘Family Cirkus’ Not Family Friendly

`Family Cirkus’ Not Family Friendly

Red Square Show Involves Bug-Eating, Bare Bottoms

By Sean Gormley Hoya Staff Writer

A show by the Bindlestiff Family Cirkus in Red Square Friday turned ugly as one member exposed himself, and others did other bizarre acts such as eating bugs. Organizers from the Junior Class Committee, which sponsored the event, said they had not anticipated such a performance.

Director of Student Organizations Martha Swanson said, “We invited them to perform,” but the group failed to mention “some of the less attractive acts.”

The proceedings chafed some of the more than 150 students gathered around the mini-stage, along with the administrators who learned of the day’s events.

The event was intended to bring “something different” to the Georgetown campus on a nice spring day, according to the Junior Class Committee co-chair Trevor Rusin (SFS ’00), who organized the event with Ben Vaught (COL ’00) and co-chair Gibb Hordes (SFS ’00).

According to Rusin, the Family Cirkus advertised itself as having “circus tricks and a funny dialogue,” including a “human toolbox,” a performer swallowing a coat hanger and other funny skits.

The “human toolbox,” Kinko, shoved a screwdriver six inches into his nose, and Ramona, the ringleader of the troupe, ate live crickets and worms.

“I don’t know what kind of family it is,” Swanson said of brother-sister act leading the performance.

The highlight, however, was the man who, in Rusin’s words, “stuck a cigar in his butt crack.” A male troop member lit a cigar, turned away from the audience, pulled his pants down, and stuck the cigar between his buttocks. Ramona proceeded to use a whip to slice the cigar into three sections.

Rusin described this act as being “a little bit much,” saying many people in the audience were disgusted.

He added, “They didn’t give a good description of what [the circus was] about.[and] we told them their act had to be toned down after we saw their costumes.”

Despite not knowing of the troupe’s antics beforehand, Vaught left a message on Swanson’s voice mail after Friday’s event, saying that he apologized for the display that had no place on campus.

The Junior Class Committee will not be held responsible for the act, according to Swanson, because neither the Office of Student Organizations nor the Junior Class Committee anticipated a freak circus instead of a family circus.

The troupe does have a web site that gives information about all of their antics, but Rusin said that the organizers had no knowledge of it, and only found out about it when the group tossed out matchbooks featuring their web address.

The Bindlestaff website features descriptions of their many acts, including a “gender-bender jamboree.songs of love and lust.Kinko pounding six inch steel spikes into his cranial cavity.[and] a bizarre performance that incorporates the slapstick mixture with fire eating, nudity, and body play.” The cirkus, booked through October, except in June and July when it will not be touring, has a recording that mentions that some of their shows are only for audiences 21 and over.

Rusin said that the Family Cirkus will not be invited back to Georgetown.