Federal Stimulus to Fund Research Projects, Work Study

Georgetown has received $25,161, 683 in federal stimulus package funding, which it will allocate to different areas of need in the university.

After applying for a grant, a main campus research project was allocated $1.2 million to fund its study of how molecules self-assemble into one-dimensional structures.

Approximately 70 percent of the funding generated by the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act was given to the Georgetown University Medical Center by the National Institutes of Health to finance over 50 research projects and lab equipment. The funding will be used over the course of two years, according to Scott Fleming, associate vice president for federal relations.

“Important projects for the country are underway,” Fleming said. “And I am delighted that they are taking place at Georgetown.”

Georgetown received $4.5 million for the federal work-study program, which it will allocate among Georgetown students at the law, medical, graduate and undergraduate levels. $3.3 million will be devoted to the undergraduate federal work-study program.

According to Fleming, the stimulus money will help graduate students after they complete their studies and will create new opportunities for research assistants.

“[The research projects] also have a real impact on education here at Georgetown,” Fleming said.

One project on the medical campus that received grant money aims to expand the “Bio-Thesaurus” to include ontological representations of gene and protein names, which will improve the use of biomedical research information online. Another study focuses on the high incidence of breast cancer among obese patients and those with diabetes. A third project examines the cultural factors that differentiate Chinese and white breast cancer survivors and how such factors affect rates of survival.

“We need to be thinking about the long-term job creation impact as the results of the research endeavors are implemented,” Fleming said. “