Former Ambassador Calls for Kosovo’s Independence

Ambassador Morton Abramowitz expressed support for the efforts of war-torn Kosovo to forge its own international identity during a panel discussion Wednesday in Copley Formal Lounge.

Abramowitz, a former State Department employee who served as the U.S. ambassador to Turkey and Thailand, expressed frustration that the United Nations lacks a “viable, functioning” plan for independence in the region. Kosovo is presently an autonomous territory in Serbia-Montenegro under UN mandate. He said that the U.N. needs to pass a new resolution to clarify the stipulations of Kosovo’s independence.

“Despite complicated issues, more and more people want to get on, see the country grow and become part of Europe,” Abramowitz said. “I have never changed my view that Kosovo must be independent.”

Abramowitz questioned the United States’ commitment to Kosovo, asking if the American mission is actually aimed at building a “state that has a possibility of functioning or if we want to just get them out of our hair.”

Kosovo’s current status is still unresolved, with the United States supporting the strengthening of Kosovar institutions, building the economy and helping to create a unified multi-ethnic society.

Charles Kupchan, professor of international affairs, joined Abramowitz in the discussion and said that he supported Kosovo’s independence despite some “moral misgivings.”

“[The decision over independence] is not one that we should revel in or embrace,” Kupchan said, adding that more dialogue is needed to ensure that the European Union will not sanction the break up of multi-ethnic states along ethnic lines in the future.

Government professor Charles King also spoke on the panel, with moderator Angela Stent, government professor and director of the Center for Eurasian, Russian and East European Studies, which co-sponsored the event.

The discussion was also sponsored by the Albanian Graduate Student Association.