Fraternities Fill Social Void

TO THE EDITOR:

The emergence of Greek life at Georgetown is a response to the lack of student space on campus. While students have places to learn, pray, eat, sleep, study and to some extent exercise, there is no place for them to socialize. There is an obvious social void at Georgetown and I am surprised that more Greek organizations have not attempted to recruit students on our campus.

Georgetown professes educating the whole person, yet puts freshmen in at least four different residences and leaves them to fend for themselves. The bar scene is off limits for those who are under 21, and unless you know an upperclassman in Village A or Henle, your social life is stymied. Even as upperclassmen Georgetown students often stay in cliques based on the dorm they lived in, the athletic team they played on or the student group they joined freshman year.

A fraternity provides an outlet for students to entrench themselves from as soon as they arrive on campus until the day they graduate, providing the social cushion they need.

As a student body we should ask ourselves why we do not have more space to socialize on campus without digging into our own pockets. Why don’t we have bigger tailgates? Why do we no longer have Block Party? Why is Senior Week only one week long?

The emergence of Greek fraternities is not because students want to be sexist, elitist womanizers; it is because Georgetown is failing to provide sufficient social opportunities for students.

PAUL ROWSEY (COL ’06) MARCH 4, 2005