Freshmen Lead Georgetown in Final Tournament of Fall Season

Georgetown finished off its fall campaign last weekend with a strong showing at the 2006 Wilson/ITA Northeast Regional, to which the University of Pennsylvania played host.

Freshman Anthony Tan led the Hoyas in singles by winning three matches. He eventually bowed out to Princeton sophomore Peter Capkovic. Capkovic, the Tigers’ No. 1 singles player, is ranked among the top 400 collegiate players in the world.

Tan won two matches in the qualifying rounds, defeating Lehigh senior Ryan Lloyd in straight sets before advancing to play St. John’s senior Tom Green. In his match with Green, Tan won the first set after being down a set point, then cruised through the second set for a 7-5, 6-1 victory. In the first round of the main draw, Tan defeated Colgate senior Chris Innes of before falling to Capkovic.

“Anthony came in as a freshman, but he was ready to contribute because he plays in tournaments all over the world. He had a great straight-set victory over the No. 2 from St. John’s this weekend,” Head Coach Gordie Ernst said. “I do think he was surprised at the level of competition in our division, especially after this weekend’s tournament.”

Tan’s successes were coupled with a strong doubles performance by junior captain Jeff Schnell and sophomore Kevin Walsh. The pair shocked Brown junior Saurabh Kohli and Zach Pasanen, who were both on last year’s reigning Ivy League-champion squad. In the second round, the duo defeated Binghamton freshman Pierre Clavel and junior Faisal Mohamed before bowing out to Harvard sophomore Sashar Ermakov and junior Ashwin Kumar. Ermakov and Kumar were the top-seeded team in the tournament.

Schnell, Georgetown’s most consistent competitor throughout the fall, also had a good tournament in singles play. He defeated senior Diego Alvarado of Manhattan College in straight sets before losing to the 17th seed, Harvard senior Scott Denenberg, in three sets.

The 2006 Wilson/ITA Northeast Regional ended Georgetown’s fall season, which saw vast improvements from last year’s record. The Hoyas won dual matches over both George Washington University and the University of Delaware and competed well in tournaments along the eastern seaboard.

“The team’s performance was better than I expected. We had a great win over GW and have started to gain some respect,” Ernst said. “Considering our past few years, teams have taken us lightly, but we have played well and started to make a name for ourselves.”

The team’s successes this fall have built a strong camaraderie that has evolved off the court. “All the guys do everything together off the court, and the success has bred a good team atmosphere,” Ernst said. “The No. 7 who is not competing is right there cheering on our No. 6 who gets to play.”

Georgetown takes the rest of the semester off, then starts the spring season on Jan. 19 at the VCU 4+1 Tournament. The Hoyas start head-to-head competition on Feb. 2 when they travel to the University of Maryland and then visit Navy the following day.

“We have a good thing going and you shouldn’t change that. But we are going to need a more set lineup for the spring,” Ernst said. “What should be interesting is each guy’s preparation. The spring starts quickly, so guys will be itching to get into the lineup and play.”