Gaston Beautiful Again

Believe it or not, Georgetown got a construction project done on time.

Earlier this month, renovations on Gaston Hall were completed – and it’s a good thing too, because it needed them.

Featuring new cushioned seats, new carpeting, retouched paintings and a completely replaced ceiling, the renovated Gaston Hall is quite a sight to see, and the changes were well worth the time and ensuing inconveniences necessary to renovate the room. In fact, the university should be praised for completing the construction project so quickly (construction began in the second week of December). It should be noted, however, that this is one of the few projects that have actually been completed on time.

Perhaps the renovations were completed with such haste so that the auditorium would be ready in time for former Spanish Prime inister Jose Maria Aznar to speak on Feb. 7. Or maybe administrators were rushing to make sure everything would be wrapped up for the Senior Mass which concluded Senior Parents Weekend this past Sunday, Feb. 12. What better time to have Gaston ready?

Given the length of time it is taking for other construction projects to be completed – White-Gravenor, Leavey Esplanade, Yates Field House, to name a few – we can begin to get an idea of what the university is capable of when its priorities are there. The work on White-Gravenor was slated to be finished over winter break and the Yates renovations by the end of last month.

We understand that Gaston Hall could be a smaller project compared to these other university buildings, but judging by the length of time needed to complete this project, the university has proved itself worthy of meeting deadlines. Perhaps administrators could devote more resources to other projects, especially those already past their deadlines.

These projects are important to students in an academic, athletic and leisurely sense, and their speedy completion will benefit everyone and contribute to an improved campus.